What's the deal with women's clothing sizes?

Preach it Green Bean. I have the opposite of your problem–I’ve got larger hips and thighs. Though, in my defense, a lot of it is muscle–I bike quite a bit. Anyways, by the time I can find jeans that I can fit over my thighs, the waist is too big and they look like they’re going to slip off. Multiply this by the ever-increasing low-rise trend, and you can see my problem!

Ok, and why do women’s clothing designers assume that everyone is the same height, which men apparently are acknowledged to come in a variety or thicknesses and heights? WHY, oh why, can my husband by 32-30, 34-30, 34-32, 34-34, 34-28! for God’s sakes, but we get “tall” or “petite” if we are lucky? I just learned that Eddie Bauer doesn’t have 16 short. If I’m a 16, they posit, I must be 5’ 10 or something. Why can’t they do like 16-30, 16-32, etc, like guy’s slacks?
I have now hit the end of GAP sizing and am running off to Eddie Bauer. Alas!

LOL Green Bean I have the same problem. Jeans are always too tight in the waist and too big in the legs/thighs. What I’ve been doing for years is just buying stretch jeans, though I have the same problem in those as well and most of the time they aern’t long enough. The last time I bought a regular pair of jeans was when I went to one of those “make your own Levi’s” places. I thought that would be such a great idea (thinking they would fit it to my body perfectly). When I went in there they found a pair that fit my waist, but then said they couldn’t change anything about the legs, thighs or butt fit. Why they even advertise that whole thing is a mystery to me.

Anyway let me know then the “store for the larger bellied people” opens :slight_smile:

An ex of mine who collected old dress patterns told me that dress sizes were originally meant to correspond to age. That is, hundred years or so ago a size 16 would be the size worn by a typical 16 year old. The size also used to include a chest measurement, so a small-chested 16 year old might be a 16-32 while her bustier friend would be a 16-38. At some point the chest measurement system was dropped, and dress sizes have been renumbered several times in the past century – a 1960s size 12 apparently corresponds to a modern size 8.

<Run By Posting>

** Look at all the women! Now that I know thier sizes I can control the universe. Or at least know who to stalk. ** :smiley:

<End Run By Posting>

If sizes are just guesses or lies, how do catalogs sell clothes to women?

To summarize the info…

The sizes in women’s clothing vary by maker, by what the maker consider the ‘perfect size X’, what they consider the differences between size X-1 and X+1 are, and by if they cut the fabric by using the ‘giant cookie cutter upon large stacks of fabric’ method. Vanity sizing comes into play also.

To asnwer JCHeckler: that’s why the catalog has a sizing chart in them, to give people an idea of what sizes their clothing actually is. That, and a very good no-questions asked return policy if it doesn’t fit.

Currently, I’ve got jeans/skirts in my closet ranging from (all U.S. sizes): (girl’s) 12 to (women’s) 16. And I echo the comment from eariler… for some reason, most clothing makers assume petite women are either built like toothpicks or beach balls. Gah. At least the bright spot of getting jeans in the girl’s deparment means that I can actually find jeans with a 26" inseam!

<< And there he came, running through the pole beans… >>

Ah. A very good question, Grasshopper.

Catalog clothing can be as wacky as anything, but the better catalogs are much much better than average with regard to sizing. They are more likely to lose customers because of these problems. Who wants to return mail-order stuff?

I think they manage to do it in several ways:

1. Consistency. As others have mentioned, sizes can vary tremendously within brand. I think better catalogs are a lot more careful about this. If a customer finds she is a 12 in Lands’ End, she can confidently order a size 12 from them. They also have size/measurement charts in them, so the sizes necessarily have to be less random. If they say that a 14 fits a 40 inch hip, then they pretty much have to stick to that because they’ll lose customers if the sizes are too variable.

2. Item descriptions: A shirt on the rack has no description on it. But in a catalog it does. If it is described as “slim-fitting” or something, I have an idea that it won’t be right for me. A “boxy” or “relaxed” fit is more likely to fit.

3. This is kind of a WAG, but I bet catalog shoppers are more likely to buy repeats of the same item. In a store, the items and the fit changes a lot year to year. But catalogs remain more consistent. I like my L.L.Bean polo-style shirts, size womens’ XL. So this year, I’ll buy some more. I know they’ll fit.

4. And we do return stuff. It is not uncommon for someone to order a huge amount of stuff, planning to return half of it. I did this once myself. I was going on a trip and desperately needed some new clothes quick. So I ordered everything that seemed likely from L.L.Bean. If I wasn’t sure of size, I ordered 2 sizes. I tried it all on and returned what didn’t fit. I guess this is OK with the catalogs. The order-taker didn’t blink when I ordered 2 sizes of the same thing, y’know?

I am “plus size” woman (I guess that sounds more elegant than fat) who commiserates with the other women. I shop on the web at Land’s End, where the clothes fit well and are made well. They’re a little expensive, but I bite the bullet and pay because everything at the mall is shoddily made and falls apart quickly. Except for August Max Woman. I love this store. I can find almost anything I need. However, do any of you women know where I can find a non-underwire support bra that comes in sizes over a 40dd and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? I currently shop at Just My Size on the web and even they have a skimply selection to choose from. Thanks for your help.

I tried to email you so as to avoid hijacking this, medstar, but your email is not available. How much over a 40DD do you need? I wear a 42DD Playtex 18-Hour bra (style 4004, not sure of its name) and I think it’s just dandy. On the downside, it is a TOTAL grandma-bra! It doesn’t even come in black. :frowning: But it’s damned comfy and supportive.

Girls girls girls, I hear ya loud and clear.

Count me among the diehard catalog shoppers.

And if a maker starts their sizes at small being 4 then I know their Large 14 will not fit.

Just in from sierra trading post size 14’s and L from Horny Toad that do not fit!!! But the 14’s from *Lands End * (labels cut out but I know its them) fit perfectly.

So horny toad, patagonia, and other skinny clothiers I cannot wear their 14’s and I havent seen them make 16’s either - bummer

I just wanted to throw in that I am a huge catalog shopper too and I totally love Spiegel and Newport-News. They both have sizes up to 24 and are totally in style and reasonably priced. :slight_smile:

Depends on the woman. My wife insists on buying “large” or “extra large” clothes, for the roomier feel. The fact that the long sleeves cover her hands don’t bother her as much as getting the extra slack space.

Green Bean?

I am AMAZED…I always pictured you as skinny as a Green Bean!

Anyhoo, may I suggest to the more (ahem) endowed ladies that you check out the local Frederick’s in the mall. They cater to, I would guess, women who have had enormous implants…but for whatever reason, they have a large selection of large bras, in a variety of styles and support options. Warning, however: Frederick’s does “vanity size” their bras, so be prepared to get one cup size larger than you usually wear. (The measurement around the ribcage seems around the same.)

Just make sure you walk to the back of the store for the more normal selection. All the pasties and stuff are in the front window.

I recommend the Lady Grace Stores catalog (www.ladygrace.com). They have sizes up to 52J (!), and a huge selection, and very reasonable prices. I’m only a 36C (almost), but even though, their stuff is great quality and cheaper than I can buy at JC Penney.

OK, now what about the odd numbers?

BTW: men have their clothing problems. I can’t buy dress shirts that fit propertly. They just don’t exist at all. They all seem to be designed for … umm… portly men. Even a “fitted” (skinnier) shirt that fits my arm length and neck circumference is at least 4 inches too big around the waist. The problem, I think, is my neck measurement, but it’s not like I’m a burly or muscular guy by any means!

Nope. :slight_smile: I’m shaped more like a garbanzo bean.

I’ll spare you the details of how I got my user name, but I’ll just say that it has nothing to do with the vegetable. I am proud to be associated, however, with such a fine, tasty, and versatile food.

Moebius Street: Odd numbers are generally “juniors” sizes. Juniors are targeted more toward teenagers. A 5 is like a ladies’ 6. A 7 is like a ladies’ 8. And so forth. You’ll sometimes see sizes listed as 5/6 or 7/8.

Ms. Bean, you’ve merely substituted one mystery for another. While I now know that odd indicates “juniors”, I don’t know what “juniors” means. Does this indicate that such clothes are

[ul]
[li]Fit for slimmer, lankier figures[/li][li]Fit for less-developed figures[/li][li]A whole separate scale, like kids/men’s/women’s shoes[/li][/ul]

Sorry! As I said, Juniors tend to be targeted toward teenagers. So, you’re spot on when you guess that they are for slimmer, lankier, and less-developed figures. You’ll also find trendier clothes in Juniors sections. I don’t think it is a whole separate scale as much as an indication of a different type of fit and style.

Many stores, like the Gap, which cater to both teens and grown-ups use the 5/6 sizing, showing both the “juniors” and “ladies” sizes.

Does this make sense? Of course not! Hence this thread.

Greenbean, thanks for the support. I have that Playtex model and believe me, the fact that it’s a grandma bra doesn’t bother me at all. I wear a (don’t tell anyone) 46dd bra and it’s hard to find.

Gypsygirl, thanks for the website. I’ll be sure to check it out.

Greenbean, I’m sorry I didn’t put my email address in my profile, but even some of the fine people who frequent these boards have been rather rude to people. If there was a simple, easy for a doofus to understand, way to ensure my address only goes where I want it, I’d do it. Until then, I can only be reached by these messages. Sorry.