What's the difference between "thee" and "thou"?

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a thorn, whereas wynn was used for a “w” sound. Wynn - Wikipedia

I don’t think this is right. Ye meaning “you” is a totally different word from “ye” meaning “the” (and pronounced as such). The “y” in the latter is actually a thorn, pronounced “th”.

AFAIK it is only coincidence that “thou” spelt with a thorn looks like “you”.

Or across the Pennines.

I can make voiced or unvoiced sounds regardless of where my tongue is in relation to my teeth. The difference is whether you’re vibrating your vocal cords, not what your tongue is doing.

In early modern English, “thou” was singular and “you” was plural. The formal/familiar distinction came into play as English speakers started to adopt more of the speech and manners of the continent, but “thou” remained properly a singular form. Thus we have Biblical passages such as this one (emphasis and parantheticals added):

Thou (singular you) shalt speak unto him, and put words in his mouth; and I will be with thy mouth, and with his mouth, and will teach you (you and him) what ye (you and he) shall do."

So the commandments that begin “thou shalt” refer not to the collective, but to the individual (“Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife,” not “You shall not covet your neighbours’ wives”). Similar, when God is addressed as “thou” it is clear that only one god is being addressed.

It’s interesting I think to look at Shakespeare’s use of “thou” and “you.” When speakers switch from “you” to “thou” it ofen signals emotion showing through and may well be followed by a brawl or a bout of passionate hand-holding. But sometimes it doesn’t seem to mean anything at all. By his time, “you” had already begun to replace “thou” in most contexts. The traslators of the King James Bible did not in fact follow contemporary idiom but deliberately affected a somewhat archaic style to give it an added air of dignity and authority.

Huh. Perhaps you’re right. I thought ‘voiced’ was more context-sensitive than that.