What's the grossest thing you've found/seen in a eating place?

I went to a Middle Eastern restaurant in Silicon Valley because they are one of the few local places to serve gyros. I ordered my lunch and another for my cow-orker. I watched as the cook sliced the slivers from the large upright slab of roasting meat. One of the pieces fell on the floor. I watched him pick it up and place it on the ledge of the grill where he had begun to brown the others.

I instantly brought this to the cashier’s attention and he assured me that it was not going to be used. I carefully watched the cook and finally caught him sneaking the soiled piece into the batch on the grill. I loudly proclaimed my disgust, spun on my heel and walked out never to return.

Ack! Wretch! Spew! EVERY time i read one of these “nasty things in the restaurant” threads I vow never ever to eat out again.

But inevitabily I find myself going anyway, especially through the drive thru. Pretty sad, isn’t it?? :smiley: I guess I just block out all this grotesque information

Lorie

I know how bad that must look, but honestly, really and truly, a 90 on a health exam is pretty damn good. Very, very tiny details which have no impact whatsoever on the actual health or quality of the food served will shave points off a restaurant’s health score. For example, 2 different expiration dates on milk in the cooler. Freezer temperature off by one degree.

My A#1 gross thing was a roach I found cooked into an egg roll at a Chinese restaurant. After I had eaten 2/3 of it. The workers didn’t seem terribly concerned about it, and offered to replace that eggroll. I declined.

The second grossest: I bit into a sandwich that was supposed to contain tomato, lettuce, turkey, Swiss and cucumbers. I chewed the first bite and didn’t taste any turkey or cucumber, so I took off the top slice of bread so I could rearrange the sammich elements. Discovered no turkey, cucumbers or cheese, but I did find a looooooong, thick strand of dark brown hair. I know it’s common, but I find hair in food deeply disgusting. Almost threw up a couple of times looking at it, and had to leave.

I know how bad that must look, but honestly, really and truly, a 90 on a health exam is pretty damn good. Very, very tiny details which have no impact whatsoever on the actual health or quality of the food served will shave points off a restaurant’s health score. For example, 2 different expiration dates on milk in the cooler. Freezer temperature off by one degree.

My A#1 gross thing was a roach I found cooked into an egg roll at a Chinese restaurant. After I had eaten 2/3 of it. The workers didn’t seem terribly concerned about it, and offered to replace that eggroll. I declined.

The second grossest: I bit into a sandwich that was supposed to contain tomato, lettuce, turkey, Swiss and cucumbers. I chewed the first bite and didn’t taste any turkey or cucumber, so I took off the top slice of bread so I could rearrange the sammich elements. Discovered no turkey, cucumbers or cheese, but I did find a looooooong, thick strand of dark brown hair. I know it’s common, but I find hair in food deeply disgusting. Almost threw up a couple of times looking at it, and had to leave.

Way back in the dim dark days of highschool, I was chowing down on a meat pie… and came across a white object in the middle of the (otherwise delicious) brown meat and gravy.

Upon closer inspection, my friends and I could only come up with the option of it being a foot of some poor creature.

I did not eat another pie for the rest of highschool, or Uni, and I think I’ve only had about 1/2 a dozen since I moved out of home.