What's the most expensive food in the supermarket (per ounce)?

If you want to talk liquors, I’ve seen some go for $400 or more a bottle, especially cognacs.

What about those listerine breath strips? They don’t cost much, but they don’t weigh much, either–anyone have any idea how much they actually do weigh, sans packaging?

A bottle of Remy Martin Louis XIII usually sells for about a grand.

Oh definitely you can find more expensive liquors, I’m just amazed even those are offered at my modest little grocer’s. It’s a big change from the days fancy was a bottle of Beck’s. Finding a hundred dollar bottle of champagne here is probably like running across a bottle of $450 Krug champagne would be in places with actual civilization.

Does it make you cry to see some gringo tourist order the really good tequila and then demand sal y limon?

So what does safflower taste like? Does it resemble saffron at all that way?

For some odd reason, those breath strips products have a per pound price at my Target, and they list at around $250.00/pound. Normally, one would expect this product to have a sticker on the shelf with a per unit price, but nope, they’re broken down per pound. Weird.

Safflower is a common substitute for saffron. It has a flowery flavor, of course, but it doesn’t really have that tell-tale saffron taste. And it does do a good job in coloring your dish. It is an inferior substitute, but I wouldn’t feel bad putting safflower in my risotto if I’m out of saffron or don’t feel like shelling out the cash for it.

I cringe even more when I bring something decent like Don Julio to a party and the Mexicans want to make palomas instead of sipping it!