What's the most obscure general circulation periodical publication?

I sometimes get free copies in the mail. It’s now a magazine about gardening and homesteading. Unlike some other mags of its ilk, it is totally apolitical.

Homesteading? You mean like in case you’re planning on traveling back to 1880?

1880? That is way too modern for me. One of my favorite magazines since I was a child has been The Mother Earth News. If you thought no bullshit real commune living hippies died off 30 years ago, think again. They live strong in this publication.

It isn’t a collection of fluff pieces either. They outline in detail about how to get off the grid, build your own waterwheel, raise your own sheep to spin wool and everything else. My favorite part is the in depth stories about people that just said ‘Screw it!’ and moved somewhere really remote to live on their own. There was one guy in Wisconsin who built his own beautiful log cabin by hand including digging his own basement and he lived in it full time with no power. When they asked him what motivated him go through so much effort to build a house by hand in the middle of nowhere, he replied that ‘Having all that electricity around makes me nervous’. You can’t argue with that.

I had no idea…even years ago, it never showed up reliably on the news stand

What, they’ve got something against weaver birds?

Not all that obscure - it’s on the front rack of the magazine display of most Barnes and Nobles and newsstands here. Keep in mind that it’s marketed to and mostly about the South, and you’ll see the connection.

(Basically, it’s Southern Living with guns; I suspect the idea was to draw a larger male readership.)