What's the most powerful emotional reaction you've had at the movies?

Deep Impact, Up, The Notebook, P.S. I Love You, Love Story - Tears.

The Dirty Dozen…Trini Lopez…more tears.

I didn’t realize what a huge impact “District 9” had on me, until I tried to rewatch it & just couldn’t. It was so upsetting.

I too had nightmares about concentration camp footage that I saw on tv as a kid (someone upthread mentioned this).

Disney’s “Sleeping Beauty” had the scariest movie scene for me as a little kid - Maleficent turning into that HUGE dragon & screaming about 'all the powers of Hell". whoa.

For a good reaction - “Fellowship of the Ring” - I had been convinced for most of my life that my favorite book couldn’t be filmed. Sure it wasn’t perfect, but boy did I have a huge smile on my face that first viewing. Hobbiton! Gandalf! Moria! all up there on the big screen. So Happy.

If he’s already playing Call of Duty, go for it.
As a matter of fact, I consider CoD to be worse for a kid than SPR.

Me too. I just couldn’t talk to anyone for 15 or 20 minutes afterward. I felt like eviscerating someone, which is saying something for this peace-loving, never-been-in-a-fight-in-his-life guy.

J.

Can someone explain the deeper meaning behind “District 9?” I saw it and thought it was rather forgettable, but maybe I’m missing something?

I think the biggest reaction I’ve ever had was from Rocky II. I know on the surface that sounds kinda cheesy, but I say “biggest reaction” because it was so many emotions all at once.

The last few moments…Rocky and Apollo both exhausted and trying to get up, Adrian at home, watching on TV, tears running down her face and she’s whispering “get up, just get up,” Mickey in the corner with his hands clasped, praying in anguish for Rocky to win. He stands on his feet, the ref looks at Apollo and shouts “you’re out!” That legendary music kicks in, Rocky collapses in his trainers arms. Then he says “I just wanna say one thing, to my wife who’s home…Yo Adrian, I did it!!” The camera shows her close up, in tears, whispering “I love you…”

It was joy, anguish, amazement, relief, adrenaline and exhaustion all rolled into one moment. I still get goose bumps just thinking about it.

That was the second movie I thought of when I saw the thread’s title. I was in the military at the time and went through bouts of thinking “Just gimme my rifle and ship me where I can kill scum like that”.

It was also my second date with a particular woman and served as a great allegory of how that went.

It’s a story by a South African about a visible minority being treated like subhumans and segregated physically and socially into crappy living conditions (and crappy living generally).

Little-ish known Irish film “Inside I’m Dancing,” released in the US as “Rory O’Shea Was Here.” Story about the friendship that develops between two young man in an assisted living facility, one living with CP, the other with ALS. Depressing, bordering on traumatic.

Even more impactful since I saw it in a theater in downtown Dublin within a very short walk from the site of one of the film’s more memorable sequences.

Schindlers List I didn’t see it at the movies but the rental was 2 VHS tapes. I had to stop after the first tape and go back and finish the movie the next night. I can’t imagine sitting through it all in one go in the cinema. Amazing film but I don’t think I’ll watch it twice.

Saving Private Ryan The D-Day landing was brutal, I’d read a few books on the subject but they had never really conveyed what the landings would have been like.

The one I remember just bawling at was one scene in The Waterdance. William Forsythe plays this racist Southern white guy who was paralyzed when he was hit by a (drunk?) driver while riding his motorcycle. He’s holding on to the idea that he will be able to sue the guy and win something out of all this. When he finds out that his mom is only able to afford to hire a crappy lawyer and breaks down when he realizes there’s nothing to hope for … it was pathetic and sad and I cried like a baby. What a performance by William Forsythe. (And part of it was he was a big lug like my brother.)

Also I saw Thelma and Louise when it first came out and I knew almost nothing going into it. It made me feel so angry and sad too, even though looking at it again of course it’s a little over the top. But the original feelings are still there.

Mississippi Burning - Rage, I wanted to tear some $h!t up. I remember leaving the theater hoping someone would try me. Young and foolish and angry at the world.

This. I am not a big crier at movies but when he said that last line at the end of Brokeback Mountain, I burst into tears. I have tried to analyze why. I’m not even gay, I’m a straight woman. That movie affected me for days. I’ve never had that happen before either.

A couple of mine have been mentioned - *Brokeback Mountain *had me. and apparently the rest of the theater, judging by the sniffles I heard, beside myself.

Ditto Titanic, and as I’ve mentioned here before, I had no desire to see a sappy love story and missed out on seeing it on the big screen.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned *Requiem for a Dream *yet, which has quite a reputation for being distrurbing and depressing. Holy cow was it ever. I don’t think the hype about it is overstated one bit.

The Ring, one of my favorite movies in my favorite genre, provided me with a great “scary movie experience” and is probably a big reason why I love it so. Had no knowledge of it and saw it in a strange place (San Francisco) with someone I had only just met in person (a long distance chat partner)for the first time. The start of the movie looks like a typical, lame setup with two teenagers home alone, telling spooky stories to one another, yada yada yada,and I was just getting to the point of rolling my eyes when it took a certain turn for the truly scary. The girl in the closet scene absolutely made me shriek and the ending had the packed theater screaming in earnest. That night I slept in the downstairs guest bedroom and was well and truly freaked out.

One a happy note, the Prom Tux scene in *There’s Something About Mary *made me laugh that uncontrollable, can’t breathe, ribs are cracking laugh. I’m not proud of it( but at least I didn’t cite the hair gel scene :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Ditto the scene in *Mean Bosses *where Charlie Day (?) has snorted the coke and he’s in the car singing along with “That’s Not My name”. I have no idea why it tickled me so much but for the rest of the movie, I could’t stop thinking about it and laughing.

Straight female here, and I have to agree that’s the prettiest set I’ve ever seen. They are spectacular.

They *are *spectacular(straight female here also) and the scene was pretty damned effective in the scary department to [del]boob[/del] boot…

The very last scene of A River Runs Through It: Norman as an old man, his father gone, his brother gone, standing alone in the river, as the shadows fall and the narrator says the powerful last line: “I am haunted by waters.”

It’s the only film I can think of that is as good as the book it’s based on.

Which is brilliant for the first half of the movie. That it turns into a generic action flick.

I saw Jaws and 40 years later, I’m *still *afraid to swim in the sea.

After rewatching episodes of Buffy and Angel, I have more of the hots for the character Spike then is appropriate for a middle aged lady.

I tear up happily everytime I watch the video for “Don’t divorce us”" Al those (gay) couples looking at each other with such love and happiness. Especially the last four cuts of the video.

Schindlers list and Brokeback; I guess I repressed that.

I do know a movie made a deep impression on me when I spend days afterward thinking up ways to make the protagonists (and evil villains!) character all better. I can’‘t be the only one daydreaming of teleporting Jews here and coddling them with good food and hot blankets, right?
It’‘s a godo thing they dont make too many blockbusters about prosecuted people who are right now in fugitive camps. I’'d have to save every last one of them, too, and unfortunately they still can be saved…

Our high school biology teacher decided to show us the film as part of his unit on genetics. I think it was in the run-up to Easter or Christmas break, so a lot of teachers were showing movies. I think it was meant to be a sort of lesson in there but for genetics go you miserable snots.

The school tough guy decided to announce ‘hey, there’s like, some morons crying at it’ andthe teacher sent him out, accusing him of ‘not having a soul’.

Right or wrong, it’s stuck with me.

I would have to say Fantasia. It just hit so many emotional buttons.

I bawled at the end of Glory when Matthew Broderick’s character is leading his company in a campaign that they all know will end in death.

I had to fight the urge to walk out on* Schindler’s List*, but I am glad that I didn’t leave. Although, like many others, I don’t think that I will watch it again.