What's the next country likely to abolish its military?

But you would have been fine if only one of the names were identical, right?

It’s like getting a flu shot - taking a little pain now saves you the potential of a lot of pain later.

A similar discussion came up two years ago, albeit springing from a vapid spammy OP.

And then my Canadianess was questioned, but I didn’t take it personally.

It won’t be Thailand anytime soon. Besides the Muslim insurgency that’s been raging in our deep South for almost six years now and claimed 3800 lives to date, we seem to be on the brink of war with Cambodia. Really. The two nations have recalled their ambassadors in the past week.

How about Canada? Hey, guys, you don’t need a military! Nobody wants to invade you! Nope, nobody! chuckle

Unless the UK were the aggressor that is.

Nothing wrong with Canadians … they are good at keeping the polar bears amused before they get far enough south to start nomming on us :smiley:

And I love the lebensrauming bit … I keep hearing it in the voice of LSD from The Producers … I liebs ya baby, i liebs ya, now lieb me alone … <giggle>

I’m hoping it’s Sweden. We’ve had ~200 years of not war and I’m thinking do we really need to keep paying for stuff we haven’t used in two centuries?

Then, we legalise marijuana and I retire to a paradise island with 3 clones of Natalie Portman (I will keep them seperate so their menstruational cycles don’t synchronise).

Could you provide a thumbnail of what the grievences are?

If I had to guess, apart from micronations and tiny island nations… New Zealand.

remote location which is hard to attack + protection by australia and US + insufficient other characteristics to make them a regional power regardless of the military + a country that doesn’t have a jingoistic head up its ass = no point

It’s extremely complicated, and this pops up every 20 years or so. A brief overview is here.

OK, this sequence made me giggle.

I’m pretty sure that there are quite a few places that leave defence in the hands of the UK armed forces, such as the aforementioned BOT and Crown Dependencies. Do these places not count as separate countries?

No, not really. For example, the UK recently suppressed Turks and Caicos self-government owing to corruption.

(Interestingly, something similar happened to Newfoundland a few years before they found themselves joining Canada. Make of this what you will.)

Well, that would be cruel to them, and you might not have to bother anyway. The Master Speaks: Does menstrual synchrony really exist? - The Straight Dope

First, let me thank you for posting a link about nuns, lesbians and the ingestion of sperm. Although it wasn’t quite as interesting as an article on those three subjects has the potential to be.

Secondly, let me point out that IF you insinuate that spending time with me would be cruel to Natalie, then it’s an act of mercy to bring 3 of them, meaning that on average they would only have to spend 1/3 as much time with me as if the others weren’t there.

But IF you insinuate that it would be cruel to keep them seperate, imagine who incredibly irritating it would have to be to spend time with not one, but two, copies of yourself. If I were subjected to it, I’d probably end up killing myself(s).

A year ago I would have nominated Luxembourg in this thread, but on a recent visit to that country I learned better. Luxembourg went down this path 150 years ago, with unhappy results.

Luxembourg had once been one of the most heavily fortified and militarized places in Europe–the “Gibraltar of the North”. In 1867, however, the reigning Grand Duke (and King of the Netherlands) threatened to sell it to France, which kicked up such a row that the only way to resolve the crisis short of war was to neuter the country.

The fortifications were torn down, the army was disbanded (save for a tiny volunteer honor guard), and the country was bound to neutrality, under guarantee by France, the Netherlands, and Germany.

We know how that worked out. In 1914 Germany fell upon the defenseless Grand Duchy, in violation of its own treaty commitment, took it over within a day and held it for four years. (But Belgium got all the international love.) In 1940 they took it over again, annexed it to Germany, and even conscipted the Luxembourgers into their army.

After World War II, Luxembourg said never again and joined NATO. Today they have a spiffy little army of about 1,000 people. And as we learned in a recent thread, they never seem to have ratified the peace treaty with Japan, so they may be marching on Tokyo at any time.

Man, where in America have you been hanging out?

Sounds like a party.