What's the problem with Peloton's treadmill?

wasthata?..yep…

:woozy_face:

I am going to hell. Because I laughed when the kid in the OP’s vid got free and then put his hand back there.

It was a brief, disbelieving laugh, and was rapidly followed by an “Aw, no!” of sympathy, but nevertheless, I did it and I’m going to hell.

My wife and I will meet you there.

One of the guys in our D&D group works for Peloton. At the start of our session last Saturday, he was distracted by a “work emergency” that didn’t directly involve him.

I think I know what the emergency was, now.

For your journey:

Update: After pushing back against the CPSC, Peloton finally has agreed to recall their machines, which have now caused 70 injuries.

Me too.

I’ll look you up.

He didn’t put his hand under again. The ball got pulled under before he could get off it.

Yeah it looks like a very minimalist design in general. Like they’re trying to do for treadmill design what Apple did to the laptop.

But as well as the aforementioned issue, the lack of rails along the side is something of a safety hazard for the user too. If you slip while using it, you’ve got a microsecond to hit the emergency stop (which I presume it has, that surely can’t be optional) before you’re going down.

(BTW I’m not proud to say that I’ve fallen off the back of a treadmill once… It was one of those experiences where I realized how delicate human skin is :grimacing:)

He had his hand lifted a fraction off the ball (you can see the shadow) just before it got pulled under again. But yes, he kept it where it would get pulled again.

Look, I get it, he’s a tiny kid and not reacting fast or aware of friction and the other physics of it. I have no doubt I would fare no better in that situation.

Nevertheless, I laughed.

Our treadmill had a clip-on emergency stop pull for exactly this problem. It’s more of a dead-man’s switch - if you pull it (by falling down) it would engage.

The video I linked to it doesn’t show it, but Peloton’s treadmills do have handrails. Interestingly, there are “under-desk” treadmills available (so you can walk while working at a stand-up desk) that definitely don’t have any handrails.

In addition to start and stop buttons for normal operation, every powered treadmill I’ve seen so far also features a tether you clip to your waistband so that if you fall or otherwise move away from the console while using the machine, it yanks a key (magnetic or mechanical) from the console, causing the machine to quickly shut down (see step 3 here).

That key also provides a way to completely disable the machine while it’s not being used by an adult.
Peloton is technically right in that none of these injuries would have happened if owners had followed the instructions (i.e. remove key when machine is not in use), but of course when you’re manufacturing a machine with the potential to be dangerous, you’re supposed to expect that some users will not follow your instructions, and you’re supposed to take steps to mitigate the harm that might result - e.g. by putting a crossbar under the rear roller to prevent kids and pets from getting drawn underneath the machine by an unstoppable tread. It looks like that last bit is where Peloton came up short.

So some do, some don’t. I was going by the picture upthread which looks like a standard treadmill with basically no handrails.