What's the worst legal advice you've ever heard?

The worst legal advice I’ve heard which I continue to see posted on the internet and overheard in restaurants is “You can’t be sued for that”, or “That won’t hold up in court”. As if either of those two situations will be remedied at no cost and within seconds.

I think you mean, “You don’t need a lawyer for that”

How does someone copyright a cat’s name?

If the cat’s name were an unpronounceable image, like when the late Prince was known as “the artist formerly known as Prince,” the image could possibly be copyrighted if it were creative and original enough.

I’m going to be deliberately vague here, for obvious reasons.

A relative of mine was arrested for murder. The evidence was, quite frankly, really crappy and totally circumstantial. His (very expensive) defense attorney told him, “We’re not going to present a defense case or call any witnesses because the evidence the prosecution will present is entirely circumstantial and unconvincing. They can’t possibly convict you. And I don’t want you to testify at all.”

You guessed it. He was convicted of first-degree murder and sentenced to life.

MANY years later, his case was reviewed and he was exonerated.

He never did get his $50K back from the attorney…

My nephew was one of several passengers in a car that was pulled over for a minor infraction. The cop had all the passengers (all 17ish year olds) get out and stand alongside the car. He told them if they voluntarily gave up any contraband he’d ignore it.

My nephew had a gram of weed in his pocket. He showed it to the cop. BUSTED!!

The kid was gobsmacked. He took the cop at his word.

To be sure, this should be in a crazy religious nuts thread, but when my aunt was selling her house, the buyer screwed her over. She was selling it herself and carrying the mortgage rather than the buyer going through a bank. The buyer told her one thing but gave her a contract that said something else.

Rather than go to an attorney, the aunt prayed about it and got confirmation from God that it was OK.

Believe me, God is not a good attorney. She finally did have to go through a human attorney who did prevail, but wasted a lot of time and money.

Joe Biden’s advice to fire warning shots. Several people have been arrested for following that bit of stupidity.

I was going to post the same thing.

So P.T. Barnum was right.

Although that’s probably not a valid quote.

A friend sold her house to hire an expensive attorney who promised he could get her husband out of prison. Her husband was definitely 100% beyond a shadow of any doubt guilty, but she did it anyway. He’s still in prison, and she’s out big bucks.

And a friend who was told “Let your son see his father. A boy needs his father.” Yes, but not when he’s the victim of a murder/suicide by his father.

That sounds like trademark, such as a logo for a company. If I trademark my name, that doesn’t mean someone can’t name their cat by the same name. They just can’t do business using that name.

It sounds very unfortunate, but it is difficult to know if a change in strategy would have made a difference in the outcome. When I think of the OJ Simpson murder trial, from the start everyone thought he was going to be found guilty. Even the news reporter said when the police finally caught up with Simpson, they indicated we should be expecting a confession. The defense strategy worked and as shocking as it was, he was found not guilty.

I’m glad your relative was exonerated.

Yeah. Horrible advice. In Delaware, we love our Uncle Joe,* but he’s got exatly zero business talking about firearms.

*(He’s a bit dotty, but he’s also warm and fuzzy)