What's this? Sam Walton's son and heir killed in a plane crash?

When the wife caught me with the plans/videos she looked dubious. When she caught me measuring the slider door to see if I could get the completed fuselage out of the den, she threatened divorce. :wink: And that ended my vari-eze plans…

Yesterday the BBC referred to the deceased as “John Walton…Son of Sam” :eek:

>ahem<

Quite a few of us who are “real pilots” and who fly “real planes” ALSO happen to enjoy flying ultralights and their counsins. It’s not about money - it’s like saying why would someone want to buy a bicycle when they can afford an SUV. Um… because they like the bicycling experience, hmmm?

Or, what Leaper said.

You are largely correct - entirely correct about how Denver died. However, a “homebuilt” is 51% built by the original owner (with some other regs to limit this to amateur builders, not professional aircraft assemblers) - subsequently, the aircraft can be sold to someone else who had no part in building it. Which was the case with Denver - he bought from the original builder/owner.

Very close :slight_smile:

An ultralight is a single-seat aircraft intended solely for recreational purposes, does not possess an airworthiness certificate (US or foreign), weighs less than 155lbs unpowered/ 254 lbs powered (minus safety devices), has a fuel capacity of no more than 5 gallons, does not exceed 55 knots in level flight, has a power-off stall speed no greater than 24 knots.

Two seat “ultralights” are either trainer aircraft operating under a rule exemption, N-numbered under the experimental/homebuilt regs, or an illegal airplane. Not that I ever expect the news media to get that right.

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but I think it was a Quicksilver. That would also jibe with the description of the wings I’ve seen.

Employess and Management! The hospital I work for is being considered for
the 2006 list. Forbes sent a questioner to 400 randomly selected employess,
of about 1800 employees.

Management as far as the manager of my department is an employee and
could be poled. I’m guessing the board members weren’t eligible for the
questioner!

They also look at things like benifits … The Container Store made the
2005 list and have the highest paid retail clerks and match 100% of
contributions (up 4% of salary) to their 401K plan!

One thing that is actually kind of nice about my company is pet therapy.
It started as dogs that were screened for personality (friendly dogs)
were brought in to make rounds and visit patients to brighten their day. It was
quickly discovered that the employees liked this as much as the patients.
So now once a week Chloe makes a visit. She is probably the best liked
“employee” at the hospital and everyone adores her!

Interesting. Do they offer the questionaire in Spanish or in English only?

I understand that he died flat broke. [sub]Actually, broken.[/sub]

In case anyone was wondering (other than me)… the aircraft in question was a CGS Hawk Arrow. Had apparently given him some trouble on the flight from Virginia (where he bought it) to Wyoming some time prior. Have no idea if that problem was related to the final one.

[QUOTE=ShibbOleth]
I didn’t even think of it as political. I just really dislike Wal*Mart as an entity. They were a bit nasty to do business with (bullies) and it’s a nasty place to shop. I avoid it if at all possible. That’s MO and not a political statement. Make of it what you want.

Now that there’s more out there about the place, it seems the guy wasn’t really a schmuck, so I apologise for the toss away lines.

He saved several members of his Green Beret unit as a medic in Vietnam, and never actually worked for Wal*Mart (as an employee), only as a fairly recent board member. And he made his money the old-fashioned way, he inherited it from daddy. Doesn’t make him evil, but also doesn’t make him a saint. Just a man. RIP.[/QUOT

Combat medics most likely should be sainted. But then again that’s just one opinion.

My husband blogged about this: check out the NYT Store ad on their online article (registration required).