What's With These "No Format" Radio Stations?

In Philly area, it is Ben-FM. The only voice you hear is recordings of the guy who played J. Peterson on the show Seinfeld.

No format. No Dj’s.

Most radio outlets are owned by parent companies. “The Point” is another station whose parent company broadcasts in most major areas.

This is exactly the problem with these stations. I’m probably old enough to be your father, which means I hate most 90s music. Not that I’m crazy about hair bands and pop divas, either, but it means I have a completely different set of likes and dislikes than you do.

So the format works when it randomly hits one of our likes, but misses 90% of the rest of the time. And neither one of us will listen for very long.

The station I really like is Buffalo’s 107.7 The Lake. Lots of album tracks that haven’t been played on the radio for years, if ever. Covers several decades but skews older. And I can listen to it for more than one track at a time.

My guess is that these no-format stations will find that their listeners will start calling for certain styles of music over others and that they’ll tighten their formats to accomodate. That is, if they get the go-ahead from the corporate office.