What's wrong with Canadian lawyers?

UPPER Canada? What’s Lower Canada, the US?

Our country, in it’s infancy, was once divided into Upper and Lower Canada.

This society dates to those times.

(You really are only taught American history, aren’t you?)

Quebec and Labrador: Lower Canada - Wikipedia

No, I’m not American, and it was a joke. Clearly a bad one, but meh.

Why would we be taught the minutia of Canadian history? I mean really, a tidbit like that is just a trivia question to anyone outside of Canada.

Me, I always think of North Dakota as Lower Saskatchewan. .

To get back to the OP - I would suggest you call the Law Society of Upper Canada and ask for contact info for lawyers working in the area of immigration and citizenship.

Then, I would start calling lawyers on that list. I agree with previous posts by Canadian lawyers. I get so many spam e-mails, particularly from abroad, that I just ignore them. Actual phone calls, possibly with a follow-up personal meeting, will likely get you better results. And be prepared to prove who you are - there have been a lot of scams targeting Canadian lawyers, particularly cross-border.

If you might want to drive up to Canada to meet a lawyer, one option might be to look for a lawyer in Kingston, which is closer to NYC than Toronto is.

Good luck !

By the way, pseudotriton ruber ruber, although I don’t know anything about the intricacies of Canadian citizenship law, it sounds to me like you’re not looking at an immigration issue, but a citizenship one. If you can prove you are a Canadian citizen, then you have the constitutional right to come to Canada to live; you don’t have to go through immigration:

Not intended as legal advice, of course - as I say, I don’t know very much at all about citizenship law.

You might want to check out this video and the links it mentions:

Waking Up Canadian.

It’s the wigs.

No wigs on lawyers or judges in Canada. Fancy robes, yes (aren’t the robes of the Supreme Court justices referred to as “Santa Claus suits”?). But no wigs.

No gavels, either.

I filed for Canadian citizenship myself, based on having one Canadian-born parent. It was a piece of cake: take the forms, photos, documents, and the fee to the Consulate; wait a couple of weeks for my shiny new citizenship card. Eleven years later, I really DID immigrate to Canada, sponsoring my partner at the same time. No problems.

Honestly, look at the form before you go consulting a lawyer. It is merely a matter of registering your birth abroad a few decades late. A phrase that might be useful for googling is “Canadian born abroad,” which is you. And me!

I’ve e-mailed several Canadian law firms, several times , involved in a class action lawsuit that my deceased father is part of inquiring as to the status of the claim, but I never get a reply.

Apparently this cannot be said often enough. I contact companies on the web regularly who I never hear from again. So I’ve given up on that and now I phone. Y’all should try it, really.

Really? But that would mean the made-for-TV movie I once saw wasn’t accurate, and that can’t be it.

Just for the record. Upper and lower refer to the St. Lawrence River. So Upper Canada meant roughly what we now call Ontario and Lower Canada to Quebec. I never hard Newfoundland called that but it would be reasonable to include Labrador.

Well, sure, so do most of us from the U.S.

My torts professor told me I could wear a wig if I wanted to, but a judge might think I was being extremely disrespectful.

Also, he mentioned that, through watching the English lawyers fumble with them in ICJ and ICC work he’s done, that they look very uncomfortable. But I still want one. :smiley:

Start saving up.

:frowning: