What's your favorite childhood movie

Back in the late 60’s, early 70’s there was a Saturday morning show called “The CBS Children’s Film Festival” hosted by Kukla, Fran, and Ollie. Each Saturday they would show a foreign chidren’s film. My all time favorite was a film from Japan called “Skinny and Fatty”.

blaaaaannkeeeeeeee… :smiley:

His name’s Atreyu, yet no where on his list is The Neverending Story. How odd…

The Goonies
Star Wars
Secret of Nimh

and as a young boy, I really liked:

Watership Down

I suspected a post like yours would ensue as the result of my list, El Elvis Rojo. However, although the movie The Neverending Story was released when I was 10, I have a higher opinion of the book it was based on. The movie itself isn’t bad, just a fairly flawed interpretation of the first half of the book. I had read the book prior to seeing the movie, which is probably the reason for my opinion.

Also, the movie The Neverending Story just doesn’t evoke the same feelings for me that the other movies on my list do. There are parts of the movie that are just wonderful, stuff I can appreciate even as an adult…but there are parts of the movie that I often prefer to skip over when watching it on video (or now, DVD).

Ah, but they have played it in the past. I swear. Or one of those channels that I keep mixing up with Disney. Something like that.

jessica

Man… how old am I?

My faves were Mary Poppins and Old Yeller.

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorite movies ever, and I’m surprised that no on else has beat me to it:

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure.

My favorite movie (still) is The Last Unicorn. I was born in 1979; the film came out in 1982. I’ve loved it for as long as I can remember. The story is so strange and beautiful, really rather sophisticated and layered. It doesn’t assume the viewer to be a simplistic idiot, like so many other children’s movies do.

I read the book just a few years ago, and that’s beautiful, too.

Has anybody else seen the movie (or read the book)? I think my mom is the only other person I know who has…

good evening friends,

i guess my childhood movie memories are different. my mom and i would go to movies together, and i remember seeing as first run movies:

damn yankees
west side story
operation petticoat
donovan’s reef
it’s a mad, mad, mad mad world
south pacific
psycho

later on:
the godfather
blazing saddles
the man who would be king
raising arizona

i remember the night we saw the music man at the theater like it was yesterday. we took the bus downtown, saw the movie, had chinese food and took the bus back home. the remarkable part of this memory is that ron howard and i are the same age. i must have been all of 6 years old that night, and that was many years ago. (ron and i are rapidly approaching 50)

mom passed on 18 months ago. movies aren’t quite the same…

Most of these have been mentioned; I was born in '81, so these movies marked my childhood:

Rudolph and Red-Nosed Reindeer & The Island of the Misfit Toys
It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Goonies - Goonies never say die!
The Never Ending Story
Back to The Future
Lady & The Tramp

I own all of them on VHS and watch them on a regular basis. :slight_smile:

YES! This movie is awesome. I saw it once when I was about five or six, and it haunted and perplexed me for many years afterward. I just recently ordered the VHS from Amazon, and after all these years the movie still blows me away (I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised that my adult-self has a lot in common with my kid-self).

It has its share of flaws (the Disneyesque love duet between Lady Amalthea and Prince Lir comes to mind) – but I’ll be damned if it isn’t a work of art. I can’t get around how much thematic power and symbolism it has, considering that it’s marketed as a kid movie (the box shamelessly pretends that it’s about cute unicorns and butterflies frolicking through the woods).

I’ve been meaning to read the book for years but it’s one of those things I never seem to get around to…