What's your favorite fictional depiction of Satan?

At the moment, I’m partial to this one.

Or, conversely:

Me too. My favorite depiction on film would be Randall Flagg (who is essentially Satan) as portrayed by Jamey Sheridan in The Stand TV miniseries. Stephen King was fond of saying how he imagined Satan as a “funny, charming guy” and that’s exactly the performance Sheridan delivered. Another favorite (though not as funny) would be Satan masquerading as a teenage guardian angel in The Last Temptation of Christ – it’s always who you least suspect, isn’t it?

John Glover in Brimstone.

“I never loved anyone but God! And that was a LONG time ago!”

She was the first Satan that popped into my head, probably for some of the reasons you mentioned.

Butt Devil was the second Satan to come to mind.

First one I thought of was John Glover, in Brimstone.

Agreed, though I favor Glover’s Satan. As you say, it’s the little things–idly loosening salt shaker tops as he talked to Stone in a diner, sneering at angel food cake, or singing the name of a disease as he looks out the window and points out what various passers-by are suffering from.

Jeff Goldblum, Mister Frost.

Another vote for Milton’s; it’s been a long time, but I remember a complex & somewhat sympathetic character.

I’ve also always had a fondness for Mephistopheles, but I can’t think of a specific work - except, of course, Damn Yankees.

I wouldn’t call it history …

Ron Glass in Joe Haldeman’s/Alan Brennert’s I of Newton segment of The (New) Twilight Zone.

“Hell is a city much like Newark” (< YouTube link to the segment)

CMC

I rather liked Alan Cumming in God, the Devil,and Bob.

Another vote for Walter Huston in The Devil and Daniel Webster. He was one of the few Satans who played it without the angst - he enjoyed being Satan.

The Casey and Andy version.

I think the huge story arc setup for the line “I have many forms” was one of the best ever.

I’m easily amused.

George Burns in “Oh, God! You Devil!”

I liked Viggo’s Lucifer from The Prophecy

Lucifer “Little Tommy Daggett. How I loved listening to your sweet prayers every night. And then you’d jump in your bed, so afraid I was under there. And I was!”

Thomas Daggett:* “I have my soul. I have my faith. What do you have, angel?”*
Lucifer: “Leave the light on, Thomas.”

The ever-changing Satan from The Collector.

Every episode, the devil would show up in a different disguise as he went to talk to Morgan - a little girl, a homeless man, a cab driver, etc, etc, etc.

Peter Cook as George Spiggot, and as one of the devil’s avatars, Drimble Wedge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au9_vfx6t6c

I’m working on a chapter right now that deals with exploitation in pop music in the early '60s (of the performers, of the fans, of the management, what a mess), and this bit of satire is exemplary). I wish I could find an isolated clip of ‘Stanley Moon’'s ‘Love Me’ that precedes it.

Darkness in Legend. Tim Curry.

I have three:[ul][]Lucifer in Richard Kadrey’s Sandman Slim series – just a regular-guy fallen angel with a dominion to run.[]Louis Cypher (Robert DeNiro) in Angel Heart – almost subliminally creepy.Evil (David Warner) in Terry Gilliam’s Time Bandits – “You are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.”[/ul]

I am the God of Hellfire, and I give you FIRE!

Million selling single by Arthur Brown from 1968 :slight_smile:

The one that was in Miss Jones…

Well, Mephistopheles is NOT Satan but one of his agents. That said, the shaved monk version from the Richard Burton movie of Marlowe’s Doctor Faustus really got me. He was totally honest with Faust, explained the misery of damnation, and even tried to dissuade him from making the deal. And when he comes to collect, watches the other demons drag Faust into Hell as his own tears flow.