What's your favorite TYPE of Star Trek episode?

There is no new thing shooting out of the sun.

You mean the best Star Trek movie ever made?

To be honest, I really wasn’t thinking about the movies when I posted this thread. To my eyes, it would fall under “Alien of the week”. I get they are humans, but they are genetically enhanced. So that seems to follow along, at least in spirit, with “AOTW”.

Not immediately.:

While the Enterprise-C was destroyed, several crewmembers survived and were taken prisoner by the Romulans, Tasha among them. According to Sela, after being interrogated, all of the survivors were to be executed, but a Romulan general became enamored of Tasha and offered to spare the lives of the prisoners if she became his consort, a condition to which Tasha agreed. One year later she gave birth to a daughter, Sela. When Sela was four years old, Tasha took her and attempted to escape, but sensing that her mother was taking her away from her home and her father, Sela cried out, and Tasha was discovered and subsequently executed. These events were completely unknown to Starfleet until 2368, when the Enterprise-D encountered Sela, by then a commander in the Romulan military, during her attempt to covertly support the Duras sisters in taking control of the Klingon Empire. (TNG: “Redemption II”)

Is that the one where the food synthesizers burned the bagels?

I prefer nicely humorous ones, which means TOS episodes.

That’s what I said! :wink:

:dubious:

:stuck_out_tongue:

My favorite episodes were the ones Bill Theiss did costumes for.

I think I need to change my vote from “Spatial Anomalies” to “Other.” My original thoughts were “Anything that naturally creates jeopardy and suspense,” but looking back over my favorite episodes I realize this could be anything from aliens (like the Klingons, Romulans, Hortas, and Gorns) to technology (the Tholian web, NOMAD, the Doomsday Machine) to natural phenomena (“Time Squared,” the Mirror Universe, the Murasaki Effect), to just about anything else.

At the bottom of my list is “Character Development.” The only ones that did this especially well were those that filled in Spock’s background. I really didn’t care to know about Data’s day or Troi’s love for chocolate.

Agreed. Watching “Darmok” right now.

::looking for Mugato Type poll option::

:frowning:

May I ask your opinion on “The Inner Light”? Would this not be character development?

I didn’t think much of it. Seemed like a lame rehash of “The Paradise Syndrome” to me.

In what way was Picard’s character developed by an hour-long fantasy that took place entirely inside his head? :confused:

“The Drumhead” and “The Measure of a Man” were among the best episodes ever. “Darmok,” on the other hand, was mediocre at best.

I care even less about Worf’s affinity for prune juice. Of all the lame jokes on TNG, this was by far the lamest.

“The road not taken” and all that. Picard had the chance to examine the kind of life he could have had.

In all fairness, it was a lifetime to him.

Miles O’Brien’s prison experience comes to mind.

Character development:

“The Wire” (DS9), “Lower Decks” (TNG), “Duet” (DS9) and so on.

Yes, but it was mercifully brief.

Fuck suspense. It’s all bullshit anyway. Character development all the way.

Oh yeah?
I’m gonna poke you with a Dyson Spear!
:dubious:

He could have done the same thing on the Holodeck.