The Lenovo I linked earlier is expensive, but has the features I like.
I will try the power brick first and see how well it charges the dell I own.
I am bothered that tech changes aren’t announced and discussed first. I learned Samsung discontinued the SD card option when I started looking at current models a few months ago. Nothing I can do except enjoy my older Samsung phone for as long as it lasts. My 50 Gig of music will be inaccessible after I upgrade. I’ll be forced to store it on my root drive.
I learned Dell’s Latitudes no longer support a removable battery after I bought a used Win 11 laptop.
I had taken that feature for granted since the mid 1990’s when I began buying Latitude laptops. I’ve owned and replaced several as my older one became obsolete.
@hajario’s power brick suggestion is ideal. It’s just like having a second battery slot, but instead of some propriety connector – it’s USB-C so you can use it for anything.
I tried accessing a external drive with micro usb about 8 years ago. The slightest vibration (like bumping the table) interrupted the transfer. I corrupted a video that I was transfering from my phone to a external HD.
I discovered the movie wouldn’t play before deleting it from my phone. I ended up copying it to my Google drive. Then copying from Google drive to my pc HD.
Android has changed a lot since then and now we have usb-c. Maybe the connection is more stable?
It’s worth trying.
Not much has changed. This was the same 8 years ago.
I think you just had a crap card reader. Between my photography hobby and my pile of Raspberr Pis doing various things, I’m constantly reading and writing to and from my MicroSD card collection. I’ve had the cards fail, but I’ve never had any kind of vibrational connection issue, USB-A or C.
And while I have use of this particular soap box, lemme just say that SD cards are terrible for archiving files. They have (relative to other media) a limited number of rewrites before failure and will not hold the data in the cells forever without rewrites to refresh the charge per cell.
You’ve definitely got a point here, I’ve noticed this too.
2008 Macintosh PowerBook: battery slides out when you pinch two tabs, don’t even have to open the case
2011 MacBook Pro: open the case, detach cable, remove several weird trilobe screws that you probably only own a screwdriver for for the purpose of changing the battery in your 2011 MacBook Pro
Well and it’s not like laptop features are overseen by any kind of standards body. ISO doesn’t have a spec on how many features a particular device has.