When did grilled egg sandwiches become standard in your world (if ever)

We called them, for some obscure reason, “Rocky Mountains” or “Rockies”. And you had to flip them over and fry the other side as well, timing them perfectly to avoid overcooking the egg.

Make that 1964 for me.

I could have mentioned that as well as Quadrophenia. I saw Quadrophenia and Withnail and I in a cinema double bill once - I was looking for things they had in common, and one of them was a scene with someone eating a sandwich with very gooey yoke in a caff. That’s why I remembered it for my post above. To correct myself, I think it might actually have been bread rather than a roll in Quadrophenia as well, but it still fits the OP’s requirements.

As it happens, this is how I like my egg sandwiches.

Great username and post combo for the following reason.

That type of egg sandwich was popular in the WWI trenches. Supposedly, the runny yolk caused the troops to hold the sandwich in one outstretched hand while they brushed the yolk / crumbs off their uniform with the other, making them look like they were playing an invisible stringed instrument. Hence they became known as an “egg banjo”.

Actually the biscuit sandwiches McD’s made in th mid 80s and bk’s crossandwiches were more o f a revelation as grandma had been making faux egg mc muffins years before McD’s did … she seen them in a texas truck stop shed been to a few times and figured out how to make them herself …

FWIW, this site says Jack in the Box produced the first breakfast sandwich in 1969, but it doesn’t say specifically it was the Breakfast Jack. I can’t say I definitely ate them at that time, but I think I did.

I had the Breakfast Jack many times in the late 80s, and possibly earlier.

Forgot the link.

I have been putting eggs between two pieces of buttered toast since I was a child.

The cafeteria at my father’s workplace in Karachi Pakistan was offering a toasted egg sandwich (egg over hard in toasted bread) in 1955/57 for the equivalent of 11 US cents. With cheese 13 cents. Cheese was a pretty exotic food in Pakistan in the 1950s. As was tuna fish and mayonnaise, another offering at the same cafeteria.