When does the Apple MagSafe patent run out?

I haven’t had a problem recently with the connectors, but with the first generation of MacBook Pros – I want to say circa 2006 – I had three different chargers go on me because the connector wore out (never had the L-shaped connector, just the straight one.) It would eventually simply not recharge, but it would actually supply power to the computer. Sometimes if I flipped the connector it would work, but eventually all three chargers required replacements, and the replacements lasted about a year before needing to be replaced again. Currently, though, I have not had any problems. Maybe four years ago was the last time I changed a MacBook Pro charger. But it certainly was an issue with me before then.

Why don’t those who want to get around Apple’s patent just design a similar connector with a different number of pins?

Patent covers different numbers of pins. What it contributes is the ability to work either way up, and the combination of signals and power.

I have a charging cable from these people for my tablet. I don’t know how that relates to the Apple patent.

$80 is the cost of an Apple AC adapter equipped with MagSafe. That’s not unusually high for an OEM laptop AC adapter, even with a conventional connector.

It is however sadly also the price for a replacement connector, as that is the only way you can buy one. I have bought two so far. Thus I have two perfectly functioning AC adaptors with failed Magsafe plugs, rendering them useless.

I would never contemplate a machine other than a Mac, so I put up with it. But it is very annoying.

Very hard to see how this does not run afoul of Apple’s patent. About the only thing that might save them is that it forms part of a protective case, and not part of the phone or tablet proper.

I wonder if the patent covers more than just magnetic attachment. MagSafe has several other features: reversible connector, authentication before increasing voltage, and indicator light on the connector.

Hmm, I wonder if people can sell MagSafe to normal DC plug converters? Take Apple adapters just for the MagSafe plugs, beef up the wire, add some circuitry for it to work, then end it in a normal DC plug. It’ll still be detachable, and any fraying would occur in the cheap adapter’s wire. Some companies are already buying Apple adapters just for the MagSafe plug.

Oh how about inductive charging? Or does that produce too much interference?

AFAIK, the patent is only for computers, and Microsoft and Apple have an agreement where they share patents (since Windows and OSX probably infringe on scores of the others patents). So, Microsoft can use a magnetic connector on the few computers they make themselves, but none of the other manufacturers can.