"When I go see a popular band live (or a live cover band), I want them to play the tunes..."

I was holidaying in Corfu and happened to go to a club just as a band* (this was the 90s) was coming on to play. I wasn’t a massive fan but they played a few hits they were having at the time. All well and good.

The following night I went to the same club and they came on the stage again, but this time unrehearsed, unplanned and totally drunk.:smiley: Or something.:wink: They played a few of their hits in a fluidy, slightly haphazard and flourishing way and it was still quite good and slightly comical.

So my option would be play the songs close to the originals, then get drunk and play as you’re feeling at that time.

*I cannot remember the name!:smack: I thought it was SL2 but this band was out at the same time and had a similar name.

I never want to hear a song exactly like the CD. I can hear that a home for a lot less money and hassle. A artist/band who doesn’t vary at least a little is IMO like screaming “I can’t improv well.” But yeah it does vary some w/the band or music and “artistic renditions” which deviate so extremely from the orig that you barely recognize it rarely do much if anything for me either.

Cheap Trick’s revelatory Live at Budokan works because they took songs with twee, poppy arrangements on studio albums and gave them rock brawn and sinew. I Want You to Want Me is a perfect example - Bun’s drumming and Nielsen’s guitar work completely redefine the song vs Tom Werman’s studio production sounds like a bad boy band.

That’s what I like - a more direct, raw arrangement, stripped of studio artifacts, where each voice/instrument has its own space and there is danger possible on the high wire of the performance. I am only a fan of extended jams when the artist is up to it and there are very very few, such as Derek Trucks. But note-for-notes are a cop out that feels disrespectful to music fans (vs nostalgia fans, for whom note for notes are probably preferred - they can hit their marks like they used to).

Ymmv

To avoid being the threadkiller with that last post:

Here is the original studio version of I Want You to Want Me - lovin’ those fingersnaps during the pre-chorus :wink:

And here is the version from Budokan

Enough of a difference to make a difference - and you can hear why it took that live album to get Cheap Trick the breakthrough in the states that they needed - they needed that rockier edge…

I can’t really say for popular bands, since I rarely see them, but for the sort of music I go to see, it really depends. For some bands, it’s impossible to play it like it is in the studio, maybe they have choral or orchestral parts, or certain members switch around instruments mid-song (like electric to acoustic guitar), or there’s layer or something. Sometimes it works to have some recording of the parts they can’t play live so it sounds like the album, and sometimes that ruins the energy, so they have to find a different way to arrange it.

Opeth is a great example of a band that will play stuff a fair bit differently live and that’s part of what makes their live performances brilliant. They regularly switch between electric and acoustic guitars, so they usually just stick with electric and have a softer sound for the acoustic bits, or for songs with lots of acoustic, they’ll play the whole thing on acoustic. They also tend to write very long songs, so they’ll tend to play it a bit faster and cut down on some of the longer interludes that may work on the album but could impact the flow of the set, and it lets them get in more songs too. They’ll often improvise parts or even entire solos. In fact, one of my favorite moments was in a mostly acoustic set they did, but at the end of a track, they swapped in an electric guitar and did a completely improvised extended solo. It was awesome.

Really, a lot of progressive bands can get away with that sort of thing, Dream Theater would be another good example, and they are also famous for improvising and extending solos or mashing together songs into medleys.

Other bands need to be as faithful to the CD as possible, and this is will often be the sorts of bands that play stuff much more focused on the technical and timing aspects. Thrash, like Metallica or Slayer, or djent or tech death just can’t do too much differently other than a little bit of improvisation in the same scales on their solos. This is also tends to be true for bands that have particularly catchy or well known tunes, they really can’t do too much with those tracks, even if they can mess around with others.

That all said, toward the idea of popular bands, I’d tend to believe that most of them get stuck performing them as close to the CD as possible, because that’s what the audience will likely want to hear.

Yeah! Epic was pressuring them to be more polished and poppy on their 2nd and 3rd albums. They weren’t happy with the results. Budokan was their vindication that the more rocking version of themselves was indeed the best. Their first album rocked; the next two, in spite of having the best songs of their career, suffered due to unwarranted interference from some bunch of coked-up Artie Fufkins.

However, in the Sorry, Timmy dept., Budokan had a lot of overdubs, and the cheers were a bit more intense because it was a TV show over there - a subtler version of the Yardbirds live album with the dubbed bullfight cheers.

But hey, it’s Cheap Trick, duh, and I still think it is some of the greatest power pop evah! :slight_smile:

So it wasn’t just me that went immediately there.

THis is gonna crack you the fuck up… I’m here in the ATL. work night shift… so the popular morning show is “The Bert Show”… combination peppy female driven fun morning show… wiithout the frat boy schtick…
So one of the ladies does a hollywood report… Jen I think… she’s reviewing the American Music Awards I think… and she starts noting how the acts had to play live… and that a lot of them didn’t sound well and/or were out of tune…

The younger female Wendy starts making excuses for Taylor Swift… and a couple of the other ones… I think maybe Katy Perry pulled it off… but a lot of em were totally fucked… She (Host wendy) is saying that its not fair for the audience to THINK THAT POP PERFORMERS CAN PERFORM LIVE…

One of the guys on their jeff… pointed this out… Then Brittany came to the Phillips arena and totally lip synched a whole show…

Brother… have you seen Neil Diamond on any of his standards…

He’s literally looking at his watch wondering when he can get this shit over… It’s pretty clear he hates “Sweet Caroline” by now…

Hell I’ve managed to only hear the song about 5 times now and I’m already sick of it. I guess it seems like a faux Neil Diamond song since I heard it so late.