When is sex OK in a relationship?

Sodom or Gomorrah?

No fire or brimstone yet, so I can assume it is NOT happening!

I like to use it as an icebreaker. :smiley:

I’m not as young as I used to be so I’m not sure I can break ice with it anymore :smiley:

just checked, nope, can’t break ice with it :smack:

The first four on my mental checklist are the same as pbbth’s.

My only extra requirement is that I have to know his full name. Damned if I know why it matters (it’s not like I plan on screaming his first, middle and last names while in the throes of passion), but it seems like the proper order of things is to know their first and last name before I know what they look like naked.

Time needed to reach that level in past relationships has ranged anywhere from 18 months to 6 hours (before sleeping together, that is, not before I knew the guy’s last name :slight_smile: ).

I don’t think there’s a benchmark per se, but the relationship should be established in other areas before sex enters the picture IMHO. As someone posted in the GD thread, it’s not so much that sex might weaken a strong relationship as that it might strengthen a weak one. Sex is an important part of a relationship, but it’s not a solid base for one.

Well, good, because last time we did it you forgot to call me “Jr.”

How can someone take such a question seriously? The only way in which there would be a right answer is if you are following some religious or other arbitrary moral code brought down from the mountain and not allowed to be questioned.

Otherwise the answer is “when both people want to”. Obviously this will be different for just about every couple.

I agree with this. The modern version of the moral code from the mountain seems to be “When Cosmo says it’s okay”, however. Whatever, it’s just as bullshit - if both of you want to have sex and you’re both able to make that decision without any impairment of your judgement then why shouldn’t you? I once knew a couple who met in a dark room at a sex club, you can’t get much earlier in the relationship than not knowing the name of the person you’re having sex with.

I actually did this not too long ago. It was unexpected enough that I actually remarked during the appetizer that I usually do things in reverse order.

I bet she was the first to do that.

I’ve started to get really picky about this. I have switched to this new rule… Called “the 5 dates” rule. Generally you can tell after 5 dates whether you like the guy or not or he likes you. Once I started this, the guys that I normally would have been with on the second, third, or first (who am I kidding) I couldn’t stand after 5 dates or they couldn’t stand me. And I walked away feeling better about myself then I would have had I slept with them and it not working out…

Though after 3 months after no sex, I tend to get bitchy and break the rule every once in a while. Hell, I have needs too. :smiley: