When They See Us, "Central Park Five" miniseries

I haven’t seen the new doc, and I could be misrembering, but. . .

Despite the miscarriage of justice in the charge of “The Central Park Jogger,” I thought that these five–as well as a number of others not accused of the CPJ assault–had participated in . . . “assaulting” other people in the park that night (the ‘wilding’ thing). Am I mistaken on that?

If that’s the case–and, again, I haven’t seen it–if they’re showing how the prosecutors railroaded them on the CPJ case, that’s one thing. But if they’re trying to make them out to be choirboys, that would seem a little off.

They did show the large group of teens in the park, and some other assaults. I don’t think they showed any of the 5 participating in any of the assaults but they did show them being present. The series promoted that the one boy’s injuries were the result of running from the police.

I guess I would say that, despite her screams to the contrary, she did not launch a lawsuit for libel, even though she has certainly lost money with this movie - that to me is quite telling.

Why has she lost money? Decent people might shun her but so what. Libel suits take time to file anyway.

I missed the edit window, I have to remember not to try and make too much sense when I have a headache.

I guess I would say that, despite her screaming about** misrepresentation and lies, **she did not launch a lawsuit for libel, even though she has certainly lost money with this movie - that to me is quite telling

Her publisher has dropped her, and so has her management company. Since her stint as a public prosecutor, she’s made a career as a crime fiction author.

They were convicted of other assaults but, as in the case of the rape, there was no evidence against them other than their “confessions.” None of the victims identified any of the defendants. These convictions were vacated at the same time as the rape convictions for the same reasons.

There is a good article at https://www.thenation.com/article/linda-fairstein-central-park-five/ with a link to the 58-page motion to vacate the convictions.

I should have added that the motion does contain the statement that:

So, although they shouldn’t have been convicted at the time, at least two were guilty of some crimes.