When TV shows break continuity: The Chuck Cunningham Syndrome

Another Roseanne one–a boyfriend of Darlene is introduced as Kevin. The next ep he appeared in–and ever after–he was David.

I think this is brought up in a way later episode when him and Darlene are fighting. David says something along the lines of David not even being his real name, he just started going by it because Darlene wanted him to.

IIRC, Frasier’s mother first offerred Sam money to steal Diane away from Frasier, to which he replied “There isn’t enough money in the world to convince me,” and she said she understood. At the end of the episode, she just told Diane she’d shoot her if she married Frasier.

In the series pilot, Yankee White, Gibbs is the one using movie references to solve the case (it takes place on Air Force One) while Tony is clueless. For the rest of the series run Gibbs’ pop culture knowledge was practically zero.

Not exactly. Becky never went away to college (how could Becky go away to college, only to have Sarah Chalke replace her in Lanville?).

On Goranson’s re-appearance on the show, variations of “Where have you been?” (along with the R’s hardly recognize you piece)) was a running gag through the whole episode, leading Becky to eventually remark, “Why is everyone asking that?” It was a brilliant use of the Darren phenomenon though

Wouldn’t this be closer to an anachronism?

Another on one from Frasier came in an episode where the brothers were fighting, and their father Martin explained that he never had a real brother, but had a partner who was like a brother ::cue story about them having a falling out, and his partner getting killed before they could reconcile::, and Frasier and Niles made up.

Later there was another episode that centered around Frasier trying to make amends for offending his aunt to the point that she wouldn’t let Martin’s brother and nephew have a relationship with Martin, and his side of the family anymore.

A dusted, deceased friend that Xander dusted. I don’t think I’d ever be able to say Jesse’s name ever again if I was Xander.

On Boy Meets World, the main character had a younger sister in the first, and possibly second, season. She vanished a la Chuck Cunnignham, only to return three or four seasons later. Someone asked where she had been, and she goes,
“I was in my room…I was in my room a long time.”

They also bought back a side character that left. In the first season, there was the stereotypicaly nerdy kid in the class who vanished when they went to junior high/high school…and was brought back for the high school graduation episode where we see him get his diploma.

Chalke had the punchline: She says she always liked the new Darren better.

I seem to remember on the first episode of Bosom Buddies “Buffy” and “Hildegarde” claimed to be sisters but in later episodes Buffy was Kip’s sister and Hildy was Henry’s sister but Buffy/Hildy, Kip/Hildy and Buffy/Henry were apparently not related (at least it was never mentioned that I can remember).

Yeah, I watched Bosom Buddies when I was a kid.

On Sledge Hammer!, Sledge is assigned his new partner (what’s-her-name?) on the first episode. Season 2 was supposed to be “Sledge Hammer: The Early Years”, since everyone seemingly dies in an explosion at the end of season 1. And yet he somehow has that same partner during the ‘Early Years’.

In the last season of Grouded For Life, the youngest boy wasn’t there because the actor left the show to go back to school. During that season, the other characters would wonder where he was and the mom or dad would occasionally say that he was up in his room or in the backyard.

They also did a bit at the end where John Goodman is playing an adult DJ in a mental hospital. He keeps saying, “Why do they say she is the same? She’s not the same?”

They say she’s the same, but she isn’t the same

Man, it’s really easy to forget just how awesome Roseanne was.

He explains that all of his classes were in the hallway the camera didn’t show.

Really? Stephen King should start writing his novels about Wisconsin.

Not a TV series, but a child in the Doonesbury comic strip also got the Chuck Cunningham treatment. Joanie Caucus originally left her husband Clinton, her daughter JJ (Joan Junior), and her unnamed son behind when she left home. JJ later appeared as a regular character. Joanie married a second time (to Rick Redfern) and had another child, Jeff.

But Jeff has been referred to as Joanie’s second child and Joanie once refered to herself as the mother of two children. Apparently her first son was erased from continuity.

Another interesting note - I don’t think Joanie’s original name has ever been revealed in the strip. Caucus was Clinton’s last name.

Agreed. It would have been neat to show Xander trying to talk about Jesse once - even just accidentally mention him, and stop - but that’s awfully dark for a show that started off with a (relatively) light tone.

I beleive she testified to this in court, that she was against the death penalty because she saw it used as a bargaining chip, and she didn’t beleive bargaining with someone’s life was an ethical thing to do.

I think you have the sequence backward. Hester’s threats of shooting Diane start early. It’s only at the end of the episode that she has a conversation with Sam along the lines of:

Hester: I understand you used to date that waitress.

Sam: [ruefully] Yeah.

Hester: What would it take to get that started again?

Sam: You don’t have enough money.

Hester: Oh, are you sure about that?

Sam: Yes, because there isn’t enough money.

Then Hester leaves Cheers, never to be seen again.

crazyjoe: The Lowell scene I was thinking of was a casual conversation during a meeting with Jack, not in court. It was probably during the episode “Bad Girl” (in which a Karla Faye Tucker analogue faces first-degree murder charges) and she simply announces that she’s against the death penalty in response to Jack’s ambivalence about seeking it in this case.