When TV shows "guest star" on other TV shows

Didn’t cast members from Civil Wars later join the cast of L.A. Law as the same characters? It was after L.A. Law got really shitty so I wasn’t watching it at that point.

In a novel by Barbara Hambly called Ishmael , Mr. Spock travels back through time to 19th century Seattle to foil a Klingon plot involving his human ancestor Aaron Stempel (played by Mark Lenard) and the cast of Here Come the Brides .

Yeah. Alan Rosenberg’s character moved to the other show, & he brought Debi Mazar’s character along for some episodes. I watched both, & liked Eli on both shows.

There was an episode of Johnny Bravo guest starring the whole cast of Scooby Doo Where Are You? It was hilarious.

Way back in 1964, NBC tried a programming concept called 90 Bristol Court Three sitcoms which ran back-to-back (to back) all set in the same apartment complex, with three different families and three different storylines, but sharing some supporting characters. I seem to recall at the end of each episode the star of one show would bump into the star of the next and hand off a setup for the next half hour.

The concept was a failure and only one of the shows lasted past mid-season.

No. Elliott Carlin did appear on “Newhart” once. I remember because Melanie Chartoff played the shrink, and I used to love Melanie Chartoff. :smiley:

Ah, that makes sense, since MAY was the lead off show, right?

I was not aware of that episode. Jack Riley also did a cameo in St. Elsewhere (also produced by MTM) as “Mr. Carlin”. He was a patient in the St. Eligius psych ward and did say his life had been ruined by “a quack psychologist in Chicago.” I guess the producers liked the in-joke so much they repeated it.

Mr. Carlin’s “St. Elsewhere” crossover

Also, to add one, “Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law”, consists of nothing but cross-overs by other assorted Hanna-Barbera characters

Which is funny, because a few seasons earlier, the actor who played “The Single Guy” had a one episode role on Friends as an OB/GYN.

“My glasses! I can’t see without my glasses.”

“My glasses! I can’t be seen without my glasses.”

My favorite part was that, even though it was a kids show, it was very obvious what Daphne and Fred were doing when the group split up.

End Hijack

This fails to take into account TV shows made in- Gasp OTHER COUNTRIES! Cue revelatory music that haven’t referenced or been referenced in American TV shows. :wink:

Didn’t Simon And Simon turn up on Magnum P.I.?

Suzanne Pleashett’s appear on the final “Newark.”

On the soaps, the denizens of General Hospital and Port Charles use to go back and forth quite regularly (though PC didn’t have GH’s gansters and GH didn’t have PC’s vampires). And when Fiona Hendley went from playing Anne DeVein on General Hospital to another character on All My Children, they were later revealed to be long lost twins.

Showing your Jersey there. :slight_smile:

“Newark” it would be like NYPD Blue but grungier?

:smack: Coffee first, then posting. And no posting after going on airline sites.

“Jinkies? Isn’t that some kind of breakfast cereal?”

Many of the older Cartoon Network shows have references to the old Hanna-Barbera characters in them (this is back when CN/Time Warner was still using the “Hanna-Barbera” brand name). And The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter’s Laboratory obviously exist in the same universe, since the show TV Puppet Pals appears in each. Hey, Puppet Pal Clem!

“The monster is really…[gasp]JOE BARBERA!
“Who the heck is that?”

Mork and Mindy was a (sort of?) spin off of Happy Days as well, at least the Mork character was. I seem to recall Robin Williams guesting on HD as Mork after M&M had been on the air a while.

It wasn’t precisely a crossover, but on the 1978 Donna Prescow show “Angie”, her Saturday Night Fever costar John Travolta had a couple of guest appearances.

It wasn’t precisely a crossover, but on the 1978 Donna Prescow show “Angie”, her Saturday Night Fever costar John Travolta had a couple of guest appearances.

sorry for the 2nd post. My cat had a “wild child” moment across my keyboard.