When will FIFA pull the plug on Qatar?

A thousand deaths??? :eek:

4000 according to Barkis
So not knowing soccer enough to really know the ins and outs, let’s really really delve into how a boycott would work. From the top of my head: Could the US say “Hey guys, we are morally against this, so we are offering up the East Coast for anyone who wants to come”. We have stadiums in Jersey, Boston, Orlando (and probably some I’m forgetting). If enough countries seem interested, could a diligent team of wedding planers/the prom committee/that-guy-who’s-always-planning-shit come up with a feasable schedule in the time the normal world cup is going on and just improv one?

Sadly it is true that Qatar is a ridiculous choice for a Summer World Cup:

• the temperatures are life-threatening to soccer players
  • constructing the stadiums involves slave labour and over 1,000 deaths during construction
  • there are many other countries with a lengthy soccer tradition that would have done a fine job.

On the other hand, Qatar is jolly rich and FIFA is very corrupt. :smack:

About 1000 so far.
4000 is a projected number throughout the construction process.

In a technically feasible way, sure. Don’t expect FIFA to take that lying down, though. FIFA has been known to take a dim view on players that have played in unsanctioned leagues in the past. I could easily see them swinging that same kind of stick to any players/national teams that participated. Anyone who took part could face being barred (or at least threatened with being barred) from any FIFA sanctioned event or league for some period of time. Oh, the brewhaha that would ensue if such a thing were to occur.

Not according to me, according to the International Trade Union Confederation. From the link in my first:

There are already calls for a boycott for moral reasons and scheduling reasons.

Admittedly I didn’t click on the link or read into the claim, so sorry if it seemed like I was misquoting you

No problem.

Here’s an article that shouldn’t be funny, but it kind of is.

I’m unaware of such tech. Some of the LGBT community is obviously in favor of a FIFA Qatar boycott.

From here: Doha July Weather, Average Temperature (Qatar) - Weather Spark

So no, not remotely feasible for playing high-class soccer during the day, and only somewhat feasible if you play only at night (which is impossible schedule-wise). And even then an average low of 88 is at least 8 degrees hotter than the average HIGHS in Rioin July.

An honest-to-god working gaydar. Brilliant!

Are fully enclosed stadiums with A/C so hard?

And then someone tinkers with the machine and reverses the polarity. Hijinks ensue.

If Qatar loses the World Cup, I nominate the USA, an East European nation (like Poland) or Japan as the hosts.

So what if half the countries come but half don’t?

Qatar is a thousand kilometers, at least, from anyplace held by ISIS.

Sure, FIFA would fight it, but so what? Except for temporary spurts of brilliance, the consistently best world-class soccer teams come from Europe and South America. Should those groups get together and decide “to hell with FIFA”, what would it matter what FIFA said? Why should they care?

Well, of course, FIFA oversees all of the leagues around the world as well. It’d be quite a painful transition if some Confederations, or Leagues, were going to leave FIFA. It’s far more than just having an alternate World Cup.

Nah, we’ll just work 4,000 more slaves to death. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like really it’s FIFA’s plug that needs to be pulled…

The real fun comes when you roll humidity into it. During those average lows of 88, the humidity is in the 85-90% range, according to the chart lower down at your link. I plug 88 F and 85% RH into a heat index calculator and get a heat index of 110. Have fun.

About the worker deaths, I thought that was par for the course in Persian Gulf states’ construction projects? Are the Qatar facilities really out of whack as far as accidents/man-hour?

I’m totally picturing an Airplane!-style scene where some flirty-looking guy gets pushed up against the wall after the X-ray machine’s purple triangle light goes off.