Where are the lines drawn on what is rational and what isn't?

Again, you’re ignoring the aspect of context and available information. There is no one size fits all.

You wouldn’t judge someone who was raised in a remote tribe the same as someone who went to Havard would you? Context includes what era and society an individual grew up in and what information they had access to, or were presented with.

There’s biblical passage that basically says, “if you have been given more, then more is required of you” So, when modern medicine is fairly common knowledge in your society then believing demons cause sickness can easily be considered irrational. It might not be irrational for the person who was raised on superstition in a remote tribe.

Well, I think you’re arguing here for the use of the word “rational” in a different sense from the way most of the other posters in this thread are using it.

I’m certainly not trying to claim that scientific rationality, or “rational materialism” as I’ve been calling it, is the only appropriate way for human beings to think about any aspect of life. But I find it more helpful to keep the word “rationality” to describe that particular mode of thought, rather than broadening it to mean “socially rational opinions in the context of a given society with its associated knowledge limitations” or “general good judgement” or “spiritual/intellectual balance” or other comparatively vague concepts.

snip.

True, however one arbiter of rationality might be the ability or willingness to accept empirical evidence over belief. Our tribesman might be less irrational to believe in sickness demons, but he would be equally irrational to persist in the belief after a demonstration of western medicine. I’m not certain that primitive or ignorant irrationality ought to really be considered such.

That’s closer but still not it. remember , the balance of emotion and intellect. It’s not irrational for a child to believe in Santa because they receive intellectual and emotional support for that belief from people they have faith in.

At some point though , society as a whole expects them to accept that Santa is a nice fiction used for the season. If you’re 35 and still refuse to accept that Santa is fictional then something is wrong emotionally and intellectually which would be irrational.

In religion that break from what your taught as a child and what you believe as an adult doesn’t occur for lots of people. They continue to receive emotional and, and lets say pseudo intellectual support for their beliefs so carrying religious beliefs through adult hood is not in and of itself irrational.

This comes with the caveat of being responsible to some degree for available information, the specific details of doctrine. If you maintain as fact that the earth is 6000 years old and want to believe dinosaurs and men coexisted, without one shred of evidence , and only to protect tradition, then you’ve allowed emotion to override intellect and have become irrational.

Rationale I don’t believe has to be correct as much as it does sane or possess logic. If I feel the mathematical combinations for life to exist would be impossible without assistance from a superior being I would consider that rational, correct or not.

Now that’s an interesting point.

I think the big problem with criticizing religious people for being irrational comes with the fact that most people aren’t scientists, and many, many people get through schooling without really getting an intuitive feel for when you should question a claim because the scientific method can’t deal with it.

Most people, even atheists and skeptics, have to take things on faith (more like probabilistic inference) at some point. You simply cannot be an expert in every field, you kind of just have to assume that the entirety of biological research isn’t based on a farce, or that those damned folks at CERN aren’t just making it up as they go along. This becomes easier when you work in scientific settings and have it verified to you constantly that the scientific method produces good results, which again, not many people have.

So then the breakdown for most people comes in "well, from where I’m standing, you’re asking me to trust those people over THERE (evolutionary biologists, physicists, archaeologists, linguists, etc) instead of the people I know and trust (pastor, parents, etc). If you don’t have a feel for what the scientific method is and why it works, the argument just comes down to “why should I trust the authority of a bunch of people I don’t know at a university using a method I’ve never seen work when it contradicts what all of these important figures in my life say?”

Even though it stems from a misunderstanding, I don’t think their conclusion is irrational from where they’re coming from. They, in their mind, have life experience with these people who have probably given them reason to trust them. They don’t, in their mind, really see why they should trust a bunch of strangers who haven’t really directly earned their trust. It’s really the same for a lot of skeptics, except we understand the value of the scientific method and the power of peer review so we don’t see why we should trust random conjecture or proven results.

Yes, I’d say from the outside skeptics, atheists etc have the more rational conclusion, but I can really see why a religious person might be hesitant to just cast aside what everybody around them is telling them in favor of a bunch of random people using the scientific method if they don’t really grasp why the scientific method (and peer review, etc) is so powerful.

ETA: Not to say that there aren’t scientists, even good ones, who believe in all manner of silly things. Those people are probably engaging in some double think or rationalization.

Missed edit:

One thing I’ve learned from doing AI is that rationality and correctness are completely different. One can make a rational conclusion, but if they don’t know or understand all the facts it can be very, very wrong. One of my textbooks made the example of an agent who looks both ways, determines it was safe to cross the street, and then gets killed by a crashing airplane. He made a rational choice, and it was rational to assume the street was safe to cross, but he was wrong that the street was safe.

I think religious people (or fairy believers, etc) are often, but not always, rational people, even if they’re not correct.

I’m talking about rational in terms of the obvious reality of the human condition, in which NOBODY is just intellect or makes judgement based only on intellect. Our belief systems are both emotional and intellectual.

It’s emotional , and intellectual balance, not spiritual/ intellectual.
Consider this from Wikki on rationality.

bolding mine.

I don’t think my presentation of what is rational is obscure of vague. I think one that focuses on just intellect is an incorrect way to approach the issue of belief systems.

Not really. There are a large number of ways to check if there is a widget in a sealed box. If one guy shakes it, and another guy runs it through a metal detector and a third guy burns it and reads the spectral lines, they all can come to the same conclusion. This is especially true for ideas like the Christian God who are contradictory and silly in many ways.

The problem with your example is that it doesn’t include enough context. When someone concludes that it is safe to cross the street he is almost certainly really thinking that no car is likely to hit him. If an airplane falls on him he is still correct - or if a sniper kills him from several blocks away, or if a gas main explodes under him. If he is crossing an airport runway the context would be quite different.

When an airplane files over, most of us pay it no mind. But I did some work once with a professor who used to work at Los Alamos. Because that was a no-fly zone, he got extremely nervous when a plane flew over, because in his context that probably meant the beginning of a nuclear war.

I think the problem you’re having is that just because somebody calls themselves a scientist and claims what they’re saying is science, doesn’t make it so. Science is always based on evidence; pseudoscience is not. And finding flaws and lies in pseudoscience doesn’t discredit science.

Put two philosophers in a room together and they may argue about fundamental principles. Put two scientists in the room together and they’re going to find fundamental ground they agree on. And this isn’t a “no true scotsman” argument - it’s the basic definition of a scientist. A scientist is somebody whose beliefs are based on the evidence derived from the real world. So all scientists are deriving their knowledge from the same source - reality - and they’re going to come up with common beliefs because of this.

That actually happened.

I hate this theory of knowledge shtick. Sure, saying we are absolutely sure of anything is probably not correct, but no one really does this. The empirical worldview does not rest on unproven postulates but on continued testing of they hypothesis. As such it works pretty well. Now, places where it does not work well, like idea generation, are places where it is not used. Science tells us how to test new ideas, not how to come up with them.
Say your drugs or hallucinations do contain something new about reality. How do you know this? By empirically testing them, of course. If I claim God or a genie or my dog told me who is going to win the sixth race tomorrow I had better go to the track or at least read the racing results.
To avoid mentioning God, someone who believes in astrology needs to follow the same process. We can’t prove that some function of star and planet sightings won’t predict the future, but we can be pretty certain it doesn’t.
Theists usually bring in proof, as in “you can’t prove god does not exist.” Let’s keep it out of the discussion, since it has little to do with rational conclusions unless you are talking math.

I’m not sure you’re really understanding it. Let me try again.

Indeed, the empirical worldview (or “scientific method”, or “rationalist materialism”, or whatever we want to call it) does work very well. The fact that it ultimately rests on an unproven axiom doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t trust the results it produces.

It just means that if there exist any other truths about reality that the empirical worldview can’t determine (and that’s a hell of a big “if”, and one that I personally am very skeptical about), we will never be able to detect that by using the empirical method.

You are absolutely right that the only way we could ever rationally know that a new claim about reality is true is by testing it with the empirical method.

What I’m talking about is the possibility that a claim about reality might be simultaneously true and yet incapable of being known rationally. In such a case, the empirical method would be useless.

I quite agree with you that such a possibility is both extremely unlikely based on everything we currently know about the universe, and highly unappealing from a rationalist-materialist epistemological standpoint. I certainly am not trying to argue that we should assume that reality actually does work in such an irrational and unsatisfying way.

All I’m doing is acknowledging that we can’t conclusively rule out such a possibility.

Which, correct me if I’m wrong, was what I took it that the OP meant when referring to “fundamentalist atheist”. DT is a perfect example of whom I think of when using the term, myself. An absolute, adamant insistence on the factual non-existence of any kind of god, despite the total lack of actual evidence that the god in question doesn’t (or can’t) exist. I’ve hit him up for cites to his overly-broad claims that it’s provable. So have others. We’re all still waiting for those cites. He doesn’t, and can’t, give them. He’s therefore ignored as an [not pit thread, so deleted] Surprisingly enough, he gets defenders in the pit threads. Hmmmm…

It becomes two entirely different arguments, depending on where you start. “I won’t believe in your god, until you provide evidence” is a far different argument than “Your god doesn’t exist, unless you provide evidence that he does”. The first is rational, the second just… isn’t. And DT is incapable of distinguishing the two arguments.

Of course you can’t prove that some kind of God doesn’t exist. But you can prove certain Gods don’t.

For instance, any God declared to be Omnibenevolent and Omnipotent is impossible, given that we have needless suffering in the world.

So if a Christian were to assert that, you can reasonably say that that assertion is wrong.

That doesn’t mean no God exists, but it excludes a specific concept of God.

I’d say Der Trihs is a perfect example of a “fundamental atheist”. We once had a thread about what evidence would cause you to believe in God’s existence. Der Trihs adamantly said he would not believe in God even if he experienced overwhelming evidence of God’s existence.

To me, a rational belief is one based on the evidence. A faith based belief is one that is held despite any evidence against it. So I consider Der Trihs’s atheism to be a religious belief - his belief in the non-existence of God is no different than a devout Christian’s belief in the existence of God. Both of them are simply choosing to believe something without regard for what the evidence is. The fact that they chose two contradictory positions to believe is a trivial difference.

Thank you for your totally useless contribution. We were all just waiting for that…

No, I think there’s an out for that. If God is omniscient and infinite, we with our finite human understanding cannot definitively prove that the suffering we see really is “needless”.

This is the famous “Mysterious Ways” evasive tactic, and while it may strike our finite human understanding as spiritually unsatisfying and distinctly fishy, I don’t think there’s a logically flawless way to nail it to the counter.

Basically, the problem with trying to make any kind of watertight proof against any particular infinite quality of the Divine is that we’re fighting out of our weight class. We’re natural beings with finite abilities, God is a supernatural being with infinite abilities: by definition, he can out-think, out-punch and outlast us.

We can come up with critiques, mockeries and denunciations of the aspects of hypothesized deities that offend our human sensibilities. But we with our human sensibilities can never plausibly claim to fully understand an infinite God. So it’s theoretically possible that all the things about God we find fault with are just misunderstandings caused by our limited capabilities. The important thing is that we can never prove they aren’t.

Never play cards with a man called Doc, never eat at a place called Mom’s, and never pick an existential fight with a supernatural being whose attributes are defined as being beyond your human comprehension.