Where can I get Character Map utility?

I thought it was part of Windows, but when I reinstalled, it wasn’t there and my old shortcuts to it failed.

What disk is it on and how do I reload it? Or is it on the web?

IIRC, it’s one of the optional accessories that doesn’t get installed by default, in at least some versions of Windows. If you do an Add/Remove Windows Components (off the Add/Remove Programs window), and choose Accessories, there should be an option to select individual components for installation/removal. The details vary among Windows versions, but if you had it before, it should be there.

Here are the instructions from Microsoft Support website:

Fear Itself -

Well, that didn’t work, but it gave me an idea. I tried the Help button on start which led to the same advice, but added this:
“If you don’t see the component listed in the Add/Remove Programs dialog box, it may be one that is included only with the CD version of Windows 98. In this case, you can download the component from an online service, such as The Microsoft Network, or from the Microsoft Download Service at the main Microsoft web site.”

So I’ll try that. Thanks

If you get someplace where you can go hunting for it, the executable, at least under WinXP, is called charmap.exe, and I’ll wager it’s the same name under Win98. It’s only 79k bytes, so downloading it from someplace should be a piece of cake.

It’s not in the Add/Remove dialog box; you have to highlight System Tools in the Add/Remove dialog box, then click on the Details button, and select Character Map from there. If it isn’t there on your version of Win98, I don’t know what to say.

This is a more drastic solution, but my most recent version of RedHat Linux (v. 8.0) came with at least two character-map utilities, and possibly more are lurking under the hood where I haven’t poked around yet.

One of them was the typical applet such as Windows has. The other was a smaller, more lightweight, and fully configurable mini-applet which you could place on your system bar right next to the clock. You could put your most commonly used extra characters in the bar, and then click on the bar whenever you needed to add a character to any application you had open.

It has been a boon for me, as I am currently working on a Web development project for a bilingual organization and I needed quick access to some non-standard (in English) characters.