Where can I legally marry my several girlfriends?

:confused:Yes diplomatic immunity would protect the diplomat from arrest, but the host country is under no obligation to allow polygamous marriage to occur or recognize the diplomats multiple spouses as legit under law.

Spouses and minor children of diplomats also usually have diplomatic passports and immunity when they accompany the diplomat to a posting, I don’t know if the USA or any other nation would allow the diplomat’s home country to request and send multiple spouses with them on duty(interesting question there).

Polygamists are not usually as a matter of course arrested or charged simply for living together with multiple spouses and claiming they are married under the eyes of god or Mother Shabubu etc, they are arrested or charged for document fraud essentially for obtaining multiple marriage licenses by fraud, you’re not going to get arrested because you have three wives on the other side of the world.

EDIT:BTW just because the diplomat can’t be arrested or charged by the host country, they can by their home country. The host country can also expel diplomats, or strongly request they be replaced by someone else if they are being a nuisance.

Well, sure the diplomat could get diplomatic immunity from being criminally prosecuted for bigamy in the host country, but that’s not quite the same thing as having the host country recognize a multiple marriage. There’s no reason the host country can’t say “Yes, you’re welcome to bring three people as part of your household (as long as your embassy is happy to support them), but we’ll only call one of them your husband. Pick one.”

In fact I’m not sure the host country would in general have any reason to recognize the marriage or not. The diplomat (nor their wives/husbands) would not be filing taxes in the host country, immigrating to the host country, getting spousal benefits, going to family court, or really doing anything else that requires the host country to recognize the spouse as a spouse.

This relates to the topic? Edit : NM, he was responding to a post without quoting the post.

Not likely. The traditional common law dealing with marriage says that capacity to marry is based on the law of one’s domicile, even if one goes to another country. Since Britain doesn’t recognize multiple spouses, marrying abroad to more than one spouse wouldn’t create a valid marriage in Britain.

Not meant as legal advice, of course, but simply to comment on an issue of public interest. Anyone who needs legal advice on this issue should consult a lawyer who practises in the area.

The question, I believe, is what legal recognition can you get for a second or third, fourth concurrent spouse? None of our systems are designed for that. There’s immigration rights - if your spouse(s) are not citizens. Only one marriage (presumably the first) is recognized by most western governments. (You could, like one Afghani immigrant recently on trial near Ottawa for killing one wife, claim the other one is your “sister” and her family.)

For pensions, for legal divorce proceedings, tax filing, etc - only one wife counts, and you probably can’t play muscial chairs (? or whatever…) to pick the one who is advantageous in this situation. One spouse becomes the “official” one.

In the situation mentioned above, One wonders whether when the first wife “divorced” so the second wife could be immigrated, whether the existing marriage then became recognized or whether the fellow had to remarry the next spouse in line for immigration, after the first one’s divorce went through. That detail -date of marriage - might indicate the legal validity the Immigration people put on locally valid polygamous marriages.

In all the birther moronicity before the last election, there was the interesting tidbit about whether Obama’s father had in fact divorced his first wife back in Kenya, before marrying Obama’s mother. Apparently the details on this are not clear. IIRC the immigration department interviewed him and he stated that he had indeed divorced, but I suppose paperwork is sparse. Regardless, they took no action lacking any definite proof.

So the only question is whether where spare spouses are given any special legal recognition, and generally the answer seems to be no. Whether the head nurse will consider you “gfamily” and let you visit in the hospital is likely an individual decision. What’s really interesting is how wills handle this (or better yet, intestate). In the strict legal sense, the one person recognized as spouse by the system probably has all the claim.

A good question to ask would be whether there are any special considerations with the mormon splinter groups and such - since in North America and some western countries, many jurisdictions give (almost) equal weight to common law or cohabitation arrangements.

An interesting side note - I have been told that for Canada Pension Plan (the rough equivalent of Social Security) the rule is the person cohabitating with the deceased for at least 6 months gets the survivor pension, even if there is a surviving legal spouse. This gets around the situation of a person who separates, never divorces, moves in with someone else, and years later they die and the wife they haven’t spoken to for 10 years gets the money. No indication what the rules are for multiples, but the rules are written for a single spouse. I suppose, based on the news about polygamous societies in British Columbia, that the other, underage spouses might qualify for a dependent’s survivor pension until 18?