[QUOTE=Elendil’s Heir]
When I was 11 or so I called another boy a “slut” once, not knowing what it meant but knowing it was an insult, and was gently corrected by my mom.
Lightray, I looked up and learned “puissance” after reading it in Thomas Berger’s great Arthurian novel Arthur Rex in high school. Also learned “recreant,” “catamite” and “zounds” from that book.
I read a lot as a kid and often knew a word before I knew its pronunciation. For instance, I said “despot” with a silent “t” (like “depot,” I reasoned) before being set right.
[/QUOTE]
Elendil’s Heir: when I was 14 or 15 I called my sister a slut intending only to insult her, not call her virtue into question. I picked up the word from Robert E. Howard’s Conan stories… There were a great many slang terms, curse words, and pejoratives that I was not exposed to until my mid teens.
I didn’t learn any new words from Thomas Berger, but in my late twenties I laughed myself silly reading about six Berger novels in a row. Thanks for jogging my memory. I just found Vital Parts on my bookshelf. Now I have something to read on the bus tomorrow.
I pronounced grotesque “grot-esk-cue” until age 12 when I read X-men #41 . The villain of the month assumed the name Grotesk after being called grotesque by the Beast (irony unintended, I think).
12 year old NJ_Kef: “Dad, don’t hit those people crossing the street.”
Aunt Helen: “They’re called pedestrians.”
NJ_Kef: “Dad, don’t hit the pedestrians.”
12 year old NJ_Kef: “Look at that neat graveyard.”
Aunt Helen: “Don’t say graveyard. It’s a cemetery.”
NJ_Kef has spent the rest of his life wondering what distinguishes a graveyard from a cemetery. Sometimes he thinks he knows. Sometimes he’s still 12 years old.
I learned the word “haver” from the OP. I can’t wait to use it! Thanks, I owe you one!