Where do I start with Prince?

If you can find She Spoke to Me, of Spike Lee’s Girl 6 movie soundtrack, you’ll hear a pop song that uses a wonderful Latin rhumba beat that breaks down in to Coltrane-esque bop jazz for a long outro. Dude can do anything.

And yeah, Prince strutted at the RRHoF. That’s Prince - you don’t ask Picasso to add a few squiggly lines in the upper right hand corner of a group drawing ;). And he killed on a lead made famous by Clapton, on a Beatles song. Not many can step up like that.

I adore that song, WordMan. You can find it on “The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale,” too, and that would not be the worst album of his to get - seven out of the 10 songs are in my favourites list by Prince, too.

Great (and hilarious) video that followed the one linked above.

Watched the beginning this. Hilarious. Reminds me of the infamous bit on Chapelle’s show where Eddie Murphy’s older brother tells the story about hanging out with Prince back in the day and Prince being a badass hoops player, even in his Prince-y outfit.

I coulda used a little more cowbell…

It’s good all the way through, almost a comedy routine, but he’s just relating his experience.

I agree. Better yet, watch the movie. No, it’s not a great movie, but it’s a good way to hear that album. (I enjoyed the movie, but I’m easy. I knew nothing about Prince when I saw it.)

Count me among those who loved Prince’s contribution there. I love how he opens a can of godmode on most of the surviving Traveling Wilburys. The song needed it. So did Lynne and Petty, probably.

And considering Lennon and McCartney weren’t keen on recording the song until Harrison dragged his buddy Eric Clapton into the studio to put them on their best behavior, I’d say he would have loved that performance.

Really funny. Jeez, what it must be like in Prince World.

Thanks for this Cat Whisperer, bought it yesterday - great stuff.

MiM

I think I started to appreciate Prince Nelson around ‘1999’ and ‘Purple Rain’. From then I looked at his previous music and also bought the following albums as they were released. I’m a big fan of funk and that era of his music, but didn’t so much appreciate ‘Graffiti Bridge’ (although bought the video) and ‘Diamonds and Pearls’. I bought ‘The Black Album’ before it was released on a white label in Camden Market and enjoyed that, but lost interest after he replaced his band with The New Power Generation.

As said above, his rendition of ‘My Guitar Gently Weeps’ is - to me - old Price when he was cool. He made a great performance during the half time of a US Football Final a couple of years before but it’s been taken off of Youtube. I still have a lot of affection for his earlier (80s) albums but the output thereafter didn’t float my boat. I imagine his ‘Vault’ is also not too inspiring either.

Last year my sister took my brother in law to see Prince live. He’s a huge fan, she isn’t.

Afterwards she jut couldn’t stop talking a bout what a goddamned amazing show it was. She still wasn’t a huge fan of his songs, but could not deny the man’s vocal and instrumentation talent, showmanship, or dedication to his craft; the show was three and a half hours long and he absolutely sold every moment of it.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add; When he was first signed to a big label the record producer asked “Who are THEY?” The reply was 'It’s just one guy."