Where does my socially inept daughter go to college?

I didn’t realize that, but if the way they wine and dine the kids they accept prior to the actual decision is any barometer, they still care about yeild, and because they do, they really will work to find funding once they’ve accepted you.

Hello, I am your daughter seven years ago. …aaannnnddd, now I feel old.

Pre-med? Check.
Socially awkard? Check.
Wash U alum? Check.

Currently, I am a medical student. I went straight through, from undergrad to medical school and had my pick of all but the top-Ivy medical schools. I do a fair bit of pre-med counciling, so I have a ton of info on that too, but I digress.

Anyway, I loved Wash U. I picked it over the cheaper state school and I think I really benefited from it. It’s big, but not too big. I was an engineer, which was even better. I got to know a lot of professors quite well in my time. As a shy person, I think I probably would have gotten lost at a state school. I’m much too quiet, by nature. Wash U fixed a lot of that for me.

I also just loved the campus. It’s very insular and safe-feeling to me. At my current school, there’s two major streets running through campus and it divides the school up. Wash U isn’t like that. All the dorms are together, all the lecture halls are together, the sports fields…everything is right there. It never felt like there were many outsiders on campus, to me. Of course, I’m a bit scatterbrained, so… This is not a party school though. Unless things have changed a lot since I graduated three years ago.

As for the medical school stuff…eh. It can go either way. I did research at Wash U and at other colleges. It’s useful to have a medical school there - I ended up using their library for research a few times and I worked there for a while. Medical schools, at least - top medical schools, put a lot of emphasis on research (I’m not going to comment on the wisdom of this). Having research experience is useful, and I would strongly recommended it. But a lot of people don’t make it through the first two years of Wash U pre-med. A huge proportion of the class begins as a pre-med.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions.

PS - if you’re in St. Louis, the City Museum is totally worth going to. It’s awesome. I miss it.

should be a fun a fun game, If we lose you deserve the win

gravitycrash, does your daughter know how worried you are? I hope that you are able to convey some feelings of confidence to her. If she sees that you are worried, that may make her doubt herself even more.

I know that you know your child and I don’t, but I hope that you can let her know that you believe that she is capable of taking charge of her life. She’s not going to believe it if you don’t.

(retired high school teacher)