Where does the "egyptian walk" come from?

It’s also in the 1959 movie Rally Round the Flag Boys. Joan Collins wraps herself in a sheet and does a little one arm up, one arm down dance somewhat similar to the opening credits of the TV sitcom I Dream of Jeanie (which came along a few years later.)

Substitute your six times for my once, and that’s what I came hear to post. Call me a saddo, but on my Egyptian tour, I really, really looked for the “classic” pose in the paintings. Never saw one.

I am guessing that the artist worked from a photograph for that particular piece and didn’t know what their profile looked like.

Some Balinese dancing resembles the “walk like an Egyptian” pose. Could there have been a conflation in the popular media at some point in the past?

Of course :smack: Can’t think why the British Museum didn’t suggest this…

This interesting paper (a pdf) on the act claims that “sand dancing” had a prior history in music hall, but they surely are how the style became so famous in the Twenties and Thirties. I’d suspect that all subsequent instances derive from their example.

Note that the people on the top of the painting (who I’m presuming were guests) were shown conventionally (face profile, shoulders front, feet profile). People of lower social status, children, and animals could be shown much more freely than others since they didn’t have any dignity to protect. (According to Barbara Mertz, anyway.)

I believe the god Bes is never shown in profile.