Where to sell a very used car?

“the younger go fast sleeper set”

The younger set that wants to go fast in sleepers. A sleeper is a term for a car that is fast, but doesn’t look like it is, or a car that is faster than it looks to be.

Around here, if you are interesting in donating it - the vo techs will take it for auto repair or body shop courses, They then resell them. It can be a really good deal depending on your tax bracket - and other than making sure the paperwork is good, its easy to do.

Question: is there a scam here I’m not seeing? So, I went to meet “Mo” and his cousin tonight (I was on a concall so get there a bit after 8:00pm). Texted I was on the way and got a reply. Once I was there, called and no one answered. Tried calling a couple minutes later. Drove off. He calls back about 5 minutes later says meet at the library. I go back to the library. Call twice and no one picks up. Get a text “sorry my phone died and I’m going to the bank to get cash.” I texted back I’ll wait in the library. Chatted with the librarians, closed at 9:00. No Mo. I took off. He called about 15 minutes later, I didn’t pick up, he didn’t leave a message or text me.

Is there a scam in here somewhere? I am leaning to someone getting some really cheap thrills, but wondering if I overlooked something?

Oh, I asked for $5500 OBO in the add. He’s been upfront his budget is only $4k. It’s taken a few days to figure out a time to meet as he lives half hour away if there is no traffic in a low rent part of unincorporated S Seattle. No big deal but I"m mystified at what the scam might have been?

thoughts?

Then an hour later someone from my area code texted to ask if car was for sale? Took the advice upthread and asked if I could call in the morning? Answered back “sure, after 8:00am” and didn’t ask for a report or anything, so might even be legit. Who knows? I’ll give it a shot and then take the less than half of KBB trade in value from a professional car flipper

timewaster. If there’s a next time and they are not there, just leave, don’t let them lead you a merry dance. Some people are so egocentric they just sit around deciding whether they should do what they’ve said they would, completely indifferent to the inconvenience of others.

Ya, prolly a timewaster. I figured he the guy was truly interested in the car, then he would have left a vmail or texted me. He hasn’t. My spidey sense was mildly pinged throughout but I couldn’t figure out any obvious scams.

Weird thing is that about an hour later last night, I got another text enquiry. Talked to the guy today, and he seems completely on the up and up. He will come by my work tomorrow to check it out.

between my hail mary KBB ad price and one of those national “we will buy any used car” low ball, I’m pretty sure I can unload it somewhere in-between unless the wheel falls off on the test drive.

Revisiting to update that I just unloaded the car about half an hour ago to the text enquiry from Craig’s list referenced above. Got $4k for it versus the company that does appraisals (I forget which one it was) who offered $900. Net net, my kid drove it for 2 years, 10k miles, about 5 scrapes/dings/fender benders, and I still got about 80 cents on the dollar back. I’d call that a success overall.

Again, appreciate the advice and answers on this thread. Also got an education in selling used cars on Craig’s list (there are real buyers as well as a LOT of scammers and trolls you need to sift through). Thanks again