Where were you when Reagan was shot?

regan was a ass. whats an mahaloth ?

Per Wikipedia, it was about 2:27pm. (Given that time, perhaps I wasn’t home in time to see the shooting live, but instead was watching the coverage afterward.) And as I remember, it was Frank Reynolds who got visibly angry on-air after they incorrectly reported that the president had died. Peter Jennings was based in London then. (At the time, ABC World New Tonight had three anchors, with Reynolds in Washington, Jennings in London and Max Robinson in Chicago.)

I’m assuming he’s referring to Donald Regan, Reagan’s Chief of Staff and Sec’y of the Treasury. Him no rite so good.

1981? I was 21, living in California, working as a waitress.

I don’t remember anything about it.

I was in my dorm, a college freshman, I think. I remember being pissed because the TV coverage preempted everything else. We didn’t have TVs in our rooms back then, children; the TV was kept in the Commons Room and at 2pm, it was supposed to be tuned to General Hospital. (why I watched that show for one year in college, I’ll never know–I never have watched any soap operas before or since). I remember being ticked that GH wasn’t on. I had no feeling for Reagan at all; I had not voted for him and indeed, I considered (and consider) him to be one of the worst Presidents we’ve ever had. I do remember thinking it was horrid for James Brady. I also think this was after Lennon was shot (?) and thinking, WTF is going on? And yes, my thoughts did go to the Zero Factor, but like Reagan mucked up so many good* things, he mucked that up too.

I do feel old now.
*I kid.

Well, obviously it wasn’t a big deal to me, because when I saw the question, I was going to answer in high school. But I had already graduated in 1980.

I was at a friend’s house, watching it on TV. That I do remember. I remember lots of joking around between us too. We weren’t upset at all. We were more like pleased that something interesting was happening.

I was in junior high. Someone brought a note to our social studies teacher, she read it, smiled and said, “Oh, good!” The note told her that Reagan was shot, and I guess she wasn’t much of a fan.

I was 35 but it must not have been a big deal to me either, because I don’t remember anything except that it happened. I remember where I was when I heard about Buddy Holly, both Kennedys, Martin Luther King Jr., Elvis, John Lennon, and the Challenger.

This is so beautiful in its oddness and poorness of writing that I want to make this my signature.

Ah, perhaps. Still, I like to think of Brian Regan there.

"regan was an ass. whats an mahaloth?" - misterkrc

I was a junior in high school, and I don’t remember where I was or what I was doing. Matter of fact, I don’t remember it at all, except for news clips.

I was at work. I had a roommate at the time, who was in the apartement when it happened. He called me.

I was an embryo.

I was on the bus on my way home from school. I went to my room, turned on the classic rock station, and just as my mother walked into my room I heard the DJ say “We have an update on the Reagan assassination attempt!”

So I yelled “Mom, someone tried to shoot Reagan” and then we watched the news. Mom was really upset when she thought for a few minutes that Al Haig was trying to take over the country.

God, was late 80 to 81 the year of the assassins? It seemed like every other day I was announcing to her that someone had been shot.

I think I was in 4th grade, and our teacher told us to pray for the president.

I have no idea. I remember where I was when I heard about John Lennon, though. How strange.

I was in grade six, in my class room. We would have just come back from recess. My teacher hated teaching music so instead of him teaching we watched some taped singing show on the Betamax. The tv and videoplayer were set up there and we were waiting to start watching the show and after about 15 minutes the teacher came back to the class room, turned on the tv and we watched Knowlton Nash and the CBC tell us what was going on until hometime. This teacher was also the first to bring a computer into a classroom at our school (his own Commodore PET) and was quite the “innovator”.

I couldn’t find footage of that broadcast in the CBC archives, but I found this, from March 11th just days before. Pierre Trudeau’s reaction to Ronald Reagan’s speaking French aroud 1:20-1:30 on the video, and the look he gives between 1:56 and 2:02 are quite amusing.
Also of note, at that time my haircut was much like the page girl behind and left of Mr Reagan. (Not Madame Speaker, Jeanne Sauve’s!)

I was just a twinkle in my father’s eye.

I was still in the Navy, working at the Pentagon, and I don’t remember much of anything about the day. Man, someone else tries to kill a President and the impression it makes on me is “What, again?”

Maybe if I’d had more regard for Reagan, it would have had more of an impact on me…

I was in sixth grade at a Catholic school. I’m not honestly sure what I remember of that day and what is mixed up with the assassination attempt on the Pope later that same year. I think the principal came on the loudspeaker and said that President Reagan had been shot and others were believed to have been shot as well, that the President was hurt but alive, and that she would let us know if any other news came in. I’m pretty sure our teacher stopped the lesson to lead us in prayer for Reagan and anyone else who had been injured or killed.

The day the Pope was shot, I believe the principal went from classroom to classroom to explain the news at an appropriate level. (Smallish school, kindergarten through eighth grade, one class at each level.) That’s probably why it made more of an impression on me.

Baltimore, second year college at JHU, getting ready for Elements of Fiction Writing class with wrtiter Stephen Dixon, at Gilman Hall. The day’s section DID go on, though it was wrapped up quickly IIRC.