Which Band Has Had The Most Line-Up Changes?

Actually, they came from the Bay Area: they met at Menlo-Atherton High School. BTW, their pre-Mac LP was pretty good!

:smack:

Anyway, that album is one the “will-likely-never-make-it-to-CD” releases.

Chuck Berry’s band probably is the champ, mostly because Berry used to tour by himself and hire different musicians in each city (at bargain basement rates – they were happy to play with him).

Want nitpicks? We got nitpicks! That’s only if you overlook the mid 90’s “Cream Lite” of the imaginatively named Bruce Baker Moore, or BBM, in which poor hapless Gary Moore was drafted in to fill Clapton’s shoes.

Cream broke up 35 years ago. ZZ Top, as far as I know, never has.

I feel pretty sure that that shouldn’t count.

I’ve got the Allman Brothers at about 16 lineup changes, which puts them further out of the running than I would have expected.

Genesis doesn’t lead in lineup changes, but they have had three lead vocalists.

Peter Gabriel
Phil Collins
Ray Wilson

It is rare for a band to change lead singers and still remain popular. Ray Wilson was only on for the last album, however.

I refer you to the OP: the Purps had four - or six if you count Ian Gillan {who left twice} three times. Mind you, apart from “Hush” they were never really successful with Rod Evans, and only took off after Gillan came on board. They managed the transition to David Coverdale fairly well, until Tommy Bolin scuppered Mark IV by OD’ing.

Gillan was back for the reformation of the classic Mark II line-up in '85, Joe Lynn Turner took the reins briefly when Gillan packed a sad over Blackmore - everyone Blackmore’s ever worked with seems to have packed a sad over him at one point or another - but returned to the fold when Blackmore finally jumped/was pushed. And there he stays, at least until the next squabble on the tour-bus.

And then, of course, there’s Hawkwind.

Link to PDF list of members and guests

Jesus wept. I think we have a winner. Didn’t know Ginger Baker played for Hawkwind, Michael Moorcock I did know about, but Samantha Fox? WTF was she doing in there?

And that’s only the official Hawkwind lineups. If you add in Nik Turner’s side projects (where he was playing Hawkwind music but Dave Brock prevented him from using the name “Hawkwind”), you could probably add on another, oh, dozen or two names.

Not going to even try with the names, but the Fall should probably be up there on the list.

Ah, yes. I remember a Mark E. Smith quote along the lines of “If it’s me and your granny on bongos, it’s The Fall.”

That’s a rather uninformed statement.

The drummer, Doane Perry, has been there since 1984. He missed only one tour in that time frame (I think due to a death in the family).

Dave Pegg played bass from 1979 - 1994. His replacement, Jonathan Noyce, has been there ever since.

How about John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers:

Roger Dean-guitar
John McVie-bass
Hughie Flint-drums
Eric Clapton-guitar, vocals
John McVie-bass
Hughie Flint-drums
Alan Skidmore-tenor sax
Dennis Healey-trumpet
Peter Green-guitar, vocal
John McVie-bass
Aynsley Dunbar-drums
Mick Taylor-lead guitar
Keef Hartley-drums
Chris Mercer-baritone saxophone
Rip Kant-tenor saxophone
Chris Mercer-tenor and baritone saxophone
Dick Heckstall-Smith-tenor and soprano saxophone
Keith Tillman-bass
Tony Reeves-string bass and bass guitar
Jon Hiseman-drums and percussion
Chris Mercer-tenor and baritone saxophone
Henry Lowther-cornet, violin
Steve Thompson-bass
Colin Allen-drums
Jon Mark-acoustic finger-style guitar
Johnny Almond-tenor and alto saxophones, flutes, mouth percussion
Larry Taylor-bass
Don “Sugarcane” Harris-violin
Harvey Mandel-lead guitar
Paul Lagos-drums
Jerry McGee-guitar
Blue Mitchell-trumpet
Clifford Solomon-saxes
Ron Selico-percussion
Freddy Robinson-guitar
Victor Gaskin-string bass
Ernie Watts-tenor saxophone
Charles Owen-tenor and soprano saxophones, flute
Fred Jackson-baritone and tenor saxophones
Hightide Harris-lead guitar
Red Holloway-saxophones & flute
Soko Richardson-drums & percussion
Randy Resnick-lead guitar
Dee McKinnie-vocals
Soko Richardson-drums
Jay Spell-keyboards, piano, clavinet
Rick Vito-guitar
Larry Blouin-baritone saxophone
James Carroll Booker III-organ
Tony Bourssard-bass
Herman Ernest-drums
Steve Hughes-guitar
Kim Joseph-congas Dee McKinnie-vocals
Nick Messina-trumpet
Lon Price-tenor saxophone, flute
Soko Richardson-drums
Jay Spell-organ, acoustic & electric piano

(this only takes them up to 1977; Mayall is still recording)

If we’re just looking at lead vocalist changes, Black Sabbath probably wins the prize.

Are you referring to Buckingham / Nicks? I have that CD right here!

Really? When was that released? I was always under the impression that hell would have to freeze over, thaw, and then freeze again before Buckingham would sign off on a release.

I can’t tell, it’s a Japanese CD, and there is no year of issue on it. It may be a really good LP transfer, as I can’t seem to find a listing for it on the net.

Sounds like it’s a bootleg.