Which countries have discontinuous territory?

Huh? I don’t think so. Manhattan is an island, entirely surrounded by water. The Bronx is on the mainland of the United States. Unless I’ve misunderstood what you mean, the only things directly connecting Manhattan to the Bronx are bridges. Sure, you can take the subway, or drive over a bridge. Is that what you mean by “connected”?

He’s talking about Marble Hill, part of the Borough of Manhattan (New York County) which is located on the mainland, not on Manhattan Island. It originated by filling in a side channel of the Harlem River.

The Wikipedia article on exclaves already quoted says these are all the ‘true’ exclaves:

Angola: Cabinda
Austria: Jungholz (connected to Austria by a single point)
Azerbaijan: Nakhichevan
Belgium: Baarle-Hertog
Brunei: Temburong
East Timor: Oecussi-Ambeno
France: French Guiana
Italy: Campione d’Italia
Germany: Büsingen am Hochrhein
Oman: Musandam
Russia: Kaliningrad
Spain: Ceuta, Llivia, and Melilla
United States: Alaska

East Timor is now a fully independent nation.

Of course. Where did I indicate otherwise? I meant the national territory was discontinuous, not that it was the territory of another country.

A portion of Tierra del Fuego belongs to Argentina, but is not contiguous with the rest of the country. TDF is an island, but the Chilean side of the island is separated from mainland Chile only by the Magellan Strait, which is only two miles wide. So it’s not exactly a remote island. The northernmost portion of Argentinian TDF is about 30 miles from mainland Argentina.

(I noticed this today on my world map shower curtain.)

Where would Equatorial Guinea fit into all this? It’s a country on the continent of Africa whose capital, Malabo, sits on an island off the coast of Cameroon, its neighbor to the north; it also has another island province (Annobon) on the other side of Sao Tome and Principe.

I don’t know where you could find maritime charts showing the international waters boundary for the three countries, but it would seem likely you’d have to cross STP territory to get from Bioko (the island with Malabo on it) to Annabon, and for most Equatoguineans it might make just as much sense to go through Cameroon and take a shorter ferry ride than it would to go straight from the EQG coast.

The island of Diego Garcia is just one of the islands in British Indian Ocean Territory.

Unlike the situation in France, the UK’s overseas territories are not actually part of the UK, so they don’t meet the OP’s requirements in any way. For example, the residents don’t vote in the UK’s elections.

If you can find a detailed map of British counties from before 1880 you’ll see dozens of bits of counties separated within the same landmass. Cromartyshire in particular was a clever joke. Of these, Flintshire (as has already been mentioned), Lancashire and Dumbartonshire survived in a discontinuous form until the 1970s when boundaries (and local authority responsibilities) were again re-drawn.

Curiously, for the recent European Parliament elections, the residents of Gibralter had their votes included in the totals for the South West Region (of the UK)… or so I heard on tv during their coverage.

No, but they aren’t sovereign states so they have to be considered part of the UK. In theory, Westminster could turf out the local government and install a new one if it felt like it, yes?

It may come down to semantics, but I disagree. Before 1997 I don’t think many people would say that Hong Kong was “part of the UK”. Do people call Puerto Rico “part of the USA”?

If it could it’s only because the populations of the remaining overseas territories are so tiny that they can’t become dominions.

If OSTs are part of the same country, then pre 1997 Hong Kong and Gibralter qualify for this thread since parts of Hong Kong are on the same land mass as Gibralter - that alone says to me that UK OSTs are not part of the UK.

Well, the people who know it’s part of the US do. You’d be amazed how many people around here think Puerto Rico is a sovereign state, like, say, the Dominican Republic, and that Puerto Ricans have to apply for a visa or something.

I think it’s because they have their own baseball team.

I see your point about Hong Kong, but I think that was partly to do with the fact that everyone knew it was going back to China “soon” (at least, it was always “soon” during my lifetime, since I wasn’t born until 1982).

ETA: What parts of Hong Kong are on the same land mass as Gibraltar?!?!?

But as far as I know, its population and land area figures are not included in those for the USA, just as those for the Falklands are not included in the UK’s. The Wikipedia section on Puerto Rico says under “Political Status” that the US Supreme Court sees it a an “unincorporated territory” which is “a territory appurtenant and belonging to the United States, but not a part of the United States.” There are cites for this in the article.

Those parts that aren’t islands.

In addition to the 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia are both included in the US Census (though the other US territories, such as Guam, are not).

Gibraltar is an island. It’s not on any land mass. Even if you count islands as part of a land mass (which presumably you don’t, since you specified mainland Hong Kong), what does that have to do with anything?

Hmm, I still think it comes down to what you mean by being “part” of a country. Do people see Guam as being part of the USA?

No it ain’t.

Gibraltar is the end of a peninsula, and has a land boundary with Spain. So you could (in theory) walk from Gibraltar to Kowloon (in the centre of Hong Kong) without crossing any seas.

Honestly, I have no idea. I don’t even know where Guam is. I imagine the average American only knows Guam as the land of the asterisk.

(Pretty much every federal government form ever seen has at least one question like, "Did you claim IRS exemption 106i69493-ZYC in fiscal 2008?*

*except in Guam")

Whoah. So it isn’t. My whole life I’d gone around thinking it was an island equidistant between Spain and Morocco.

On re-reading I see that. On first notice, it seemed that you were suggesting that it was discontiguous with Timor, not on the island of Timor. I think I missed a word. Sorry about that, Colibri.

Sometimes, you do tend to live up to your screen name. This post is one of those times. :wink:

As for overseas territories that belong to the United Kingdom, it’s not possible to easily compare them with the concept of overseas territories/protectorates of the United States. That’s because the UK is a monarchy, and the United States is not. This creates fundamental differences in discussing the status of “subjects of the crown” in comparison to residents of places owned by the U.S. but not yet admitted to the federal compact.