[QUOTE=Ogre]
Several, including the Ramones, but the one that sticks with me most is:
Jeff Buckley - drowned.
[/QUOTE]
Jeff Buckley is the one of many now-sadly-dead guys that sticks in my mind. And the funny thing I remember about seeing him isn’t so much the music - it was coming away thinking, and I say this as a staunch heterosexual, thinking “he is one good looking guy!”
When Grant McLennan passed away it brough back a lot of sweet memories of early Go-Betweens gigs.
Jimi Hendrix
John Bonham
Keith Moon
John Entwistle
(the first time for the previous 3 was at the same concert)
Jerry Garcia
John Denver
Frank Zappa
Lowell George
[QUOTE=Ogre]
Several, including the Ramones, but the one that sticks with me most is:
Jeff Buckley - drowned.
[/QUOTE]
I was lucky enough to see Jeff Buckley in February of 1996, where he played at Belvoir Amphitheatre in Western Australia’s Swan Valley. On a warm February night (mid to high 20s) under a cloudless sky, he left the crowd awestruck even though Grace had received fairly limited airplay up until that point.
To think back to that night and remember how unbelievable he was so early on in his career makes his death easily the saddest I can think of in terms of people I’ve never met.
[QUOTE=Manatee]
Were you still in SoCal back then? If so, I was at the Coliseum that day too! Now if T-Bone Burnett would die, we’d hit the trifecta for that day.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, that was the show. Only time I ever ditched school. I remember that was the concert that caused the Los Angeles City Council to ban daytime stadium events on school days.
[QUOTE=An Arky]
The Beat Farmers (Country Dick Montana, Buddy Blue)
[/QUOTE]
Ooh, Forgot about them. Country Dick’s passing didn’t surprise me. I was working the night they placed the UCLA Cooperage (campus pizza joint that had a stage). After the set I found Country Dick sprawled out on his back in a pool of sweat in the hallway leading to the service elevators. I got him some water and waited for the rest of the band to show up and take over. That was 1985 or '86.