Which games give you the most re-play value?

The cave is easy compared to the eastern shore.

If you look on this map: http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/images/6/65/Fallout_new_vegas_large_map_with_grid.jpg
it is approximately located from N10 to N13.

Never been? I hear there’s some good loot. I tried to go a few times but it was just too difficult.

Fallout 2 by a significant degree. I’ve poured so much time into that game. I started another character just the other day, actually, and my experience (in terms of story, especially) is already significantly different from my previous playthroughs.

So far Torchlight seems pretty nifty. Steam has a Torchlight II preorder pack available which includes Torchlight as a bonus, as well. Torchlight II looks like it is going to be even better than Torchlight! As far as a world building game, do you have Dungeon Keeper II? (The first Dungeon Keeper is awful, mind.) You can find it on Amazon.com, if you are interested. Games I reach for over and over would be Diablo, and Diablo II Lord of Destruction.

looking at my list of currently installed games I often replay: Xcom, Theme Hospital, Space Empires IV, Sins of a Solar Empire, Age of Empires II, Supreme Commander, Diablo 2, Titans Quest, Arcanum, Fallout 2, Elderscrolls games, Deus Ex, Minecraft, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Silent Hunter IV, The Guild 2, Mount and Blade, Civ V, X3 Terran Conflict and The Sims 3.

If I had to pick one of them to replay over and over it would have to be Space Empires IV. It’s a 4x space strategy game with a huge tech tree, a focus on customisation and is easily modded.

If you have stealth it’s actually quite easy because you can kill everything before they spot you. A few stealth boys if you mess up are nice too. As for the loot: A suit of Remnant power armour on a corpse near the highest concentration of deathclaws. The best armour in the game. You’ll have to find the helmet somewhere else though.

Baldur’s Gate 2. I come up with excuses like classes I’ve yet to play, mods I haven’t tried, or gimmick run-throughs (use only the least popular NPCs in my party) to justify starting just one more game.

I’m guessing you’re the sort of person who doesn’t read novels or watch films over and over again as well. I’m just the opposite of that :). I love reimmersing myself in the same stories multiple times. So RPGs that are fun are among my most replayable games.

But strategy games take the prize. Civ II, MOO2, EU II/III and maybe Crusader Kings are probably the joint champion time-wasters.

My World of Warcraft account had over a year of actual playtime. Not how long it’s been active but the actual amount of time i spent on it.

Xcom is the game for me. I’ve played through it every few years and it still holds up.

I also enjoy playing through games like NVN2, or other RPGs like Fallout mentioned above.

The Console game that I’ve played through the most though? Hands down- Twisted Metal 2 multiplayer. The whole series is great for playing through with a friend, that’s just been our go to game of choice.

Roguelikes, by their nature, if you enjoy playing them once, you’re liable to enjoy them again, due to their lack of plot (so no ‘oh, I’ve done this scene a dozen times’ thing), and random maps (so it’s essentially a new game every time).

Nethack, of course, is the classic, and it’s free, both the ascii and tile graphical versions.

But, if you have a Steam account, I’d recommend Dungeons of Dredmor, a totally silly graphical roguelike. How silly? It has items such as the meatwand and the enemies making Fight Club references. (It’s also cheap, though not free.)

Civ2
Colonization
Railroad Tycoon 3
Robotron: 2084

I catch myself starting up a new game of Super Mario RPG every few years, absolutely loved that game while none of my friends or family could understand it (RPGs)… That and Secret of Mana 2

One of the only Final Fantasy-style RPGs I could stand. Yet I rented it and got hooked instantly. I wonder what makes it special.

Never get tired of Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time. The acrobatic movements and 3rd person view make it more dynamic than most other games, and the levels are just perfect every time.

Some games are just of a nature that once you’ve played them, there’s no point in playing again. The CSI games are an example. Almost completely linear, and the object is to solve a series of puzzles. Once you know the solutions, there is no game for you anymore.

Other games may have multiple solutions, and allow a limited number of replays with different challenges.

And some games, like NetHack, as previously mentioned, or many of Sid Meier’s games have a definite beginning and end, but are generated at random, so playing again results in a new experience every time. Maybe not indefinitely, but for a reasonably long time.

PC game: Civ II or Civ IV
Board game: Fields of Fire or Up Front

Biggirl - I hope you haven’t given up on Runescape!

GalCiv II
Civ IV
Thief (any of them)
Hitman (any of them)
Dominions 3 (multiplayer only - solo is shit)
Heroes III/V
GTA:Vice City

Every other game, I play through once and call it a day. Maybe the *Witcher *games oughta count, but I still only played each twice for each major path.

I do go back every now and again. What I really want to do is advance in mining and, for some reason, I hit a brick wall every time. I do enjoy building the cooking skill. But dang, do I get tired of running back and forth across the landscape trying to get the crap I need. This goes for many of the skills I enjoy in Runescape. It just gets tiring running from one place to another gathering resources.

Star Control II. I seem to go back and replay it every few years. Tons of replayability there. I love, love love it. It’s free too! Just search for Ur-Quan Masters. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

Red Alert 2 also got tons and tons of play time from me when I was younger, with mods and online play. Warcraft 3 as well. Lots of time spent with mods, custom maps, etc.

I have Torchlight and played it a bit but just couldn’t get into it like I did the Diablo Series. I might reinstall it and try again once I’m done playing Diablo 3 (if I’m ever done, that is). I totally agree with Dungeon Keeper II. I still find myself muttering under my breath, “Get me out of this hellhole” at random moments.

I’m a re-reader of favorite books, but I can’t replay a game that is the same from beginning to end. I think games engage a different part of my brain, and they’re no fun to play if I already know the whole story.

Very well stated. My favorite and most replayable games involve exploration and/or the finding of objects or places or events that are randomly generated (and thus potentially novel). I also appreciate games that let me build something (like a city or a civilization) or completely control the events that occur (like in the Sims).

Some later posts in this thread require that I add Titan Quest (though its expansion sucked) and the Thief series to my list. Thief’s replay value was a little different for me. I played it a lot because it had the best atmospheric stealth elements I’ve ever encountered. I don’t remember anything about the plot at all.