Which logical fallacy is this?

Just a quibble, but math and logic are different. You can’t prove a logical statement, “mathematically.” Though, mathematical proofs sometimes involve symbolic logic. I get what you mean though.

I’m afraid I am too tired today, to give you a definitive answer (getting old sucks). Generally, they are getting at different things. But if you read the site about translation, you may find a way to answer the question.

Ok. Here, more to the point.

All giraffes are tall=All A are C
All John Maces are tall=All B are C
Therefore all John Maces are giraffes=All B are A

Or more formally,
If A, then C
If B, then C
Therefore, if B, then A

AC would be

If A, then C
C
Therefore A

And here is a long quote explaining UM

I say they are different.

John Mace is correct. It is the fallacy of the undistributed middle. The class of tall things is undistributed in that not all tall things are giraffes.

Guilt by association arguments are of this type.

Yes, sloppy wording on my part. I wasn’t exactly sure how to state it precisely, but as you said, you got what I meant. Thanks for the cites. I’ll give them a look. Guess I was hoping someone would just walk me thru it.:slight_smile:

Ionesco pointed this out in Rhinoceros as a syllogistic fallacy. I think like “undistributed middle” though.

All giraffes are tall.
I AM a giraffe.
Therefore, I’m having a devil of a time typing this.

:^D) I’m being facetious, of course. I’m having someone else type it for me in exchange for letting them play with my 12-inch blue tongue.

Thanx to all for clarification of the syllogistic fallacy discussed in this thread.

In the set of tall things we find you and a giraffe. Two things belong to the same set therefore they are equal? This is most definitely a logical fallacy.

Isn’t this the same thing?: A implies C, B implies C therefore A = B. There are cases where A = B is true, but the statement is general is false.

Example 1:

2 oranges + 2 oranges is a group of 4 oranges.
1 orange + 3 oranges is a group of 4 oranges.

I think we can agree: 2 oranges + 2 oranges = 1 orange + 3 oranges.

Where on the other hand …

2 oranges + 2 oranges is a group of 4 round things.
1 basketball + 3 basketballs is a group of 4 round things.

But certainly …

4 oranges are not the same round things as 4 basketballs.

So, in this case, it depends on the definition of the group.

Example 2:

This flame is exactly hot enough to boil water.

This other flame is 100 degrees C and it is exactly hot enough to boil water.

The two flames are the same temperature, the temperature that is exactly hot enough to boil water, and they belong to the set of all things at least hot enough to boil water.

So in this case, A implies C, B implies C and A is indeed equal to B.

hegel, a Registered User, posts on the sdmb;
i also post on the sdmb; therefore, i am a Registered User?

That’s correct.

If you derived “I am hegel” though, that’d be a fallacy.

but i’m not a Registered User! i’m only a member like everyone else. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s because all Members are Registered Users. :cool:

Ok. There are really three concepts getting mixed up here.

Implication–A implies B. If A implies B, then B is true every time A is true. Put another way either B is false, or A is true.

Mathematical Equivalence–A=B. The numerical value of of A is the same as B. Again, this can be true or false. But it has little place in symbolic logic.

Material equivalence. A, if and only if, B. This means that A implies B and B implies A. They go together, and if one is true, then so is the other.

In the example given above, A and B may be true. A=B is probably a meaningless statement, becuase A and B are not numbers, but truth valued statements about the world, and A implies B is false because we can have B without A.