Which “nonessential” federal government functions do you think you’ll need in the near future?

I meant just temporarily. Say you’re really counting on that $500 refund. Have Payroll deduct $100 less from your next five checks and you’ve got your $500. If and when the refund does come thru, stick it in the bank in case you owe it next time around.

Another one: most of the FDA’s food inspectors are furloughed.

How nice that you work for a company that lets you do that. My employer only lets me change the number of deductions, the filing status, and any extra withholding. If there’s no extra withholding, changing deductions can swing the tax withheld wildly, IME. Far more chaotic than it ought to be, IMNAAHO.

And off topic, so I’ll bow out until I have something relevant. Sorry about the hijack. Don’t post sleepy, kids.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to manipulate the number of deductions, filing status, and extra withholding to achieve the desired result. I don’t know who you work for, but they should work with you to make this happen.

Not quite - even for essential employees, it may only be certain work that is designated as essential. I’m an “essential employee” myself but only one of my projects is designated as essential. On days when no tasks are scheduled for that project, I’m on furlough status. I am not allowed to work on my other projects.

Speaking as a federal government employee, I’d have to say the payroll department.