Which Would You Choose to Have Restored to the World?

Ah, OK, that makes much more sense now. I’ve never been to Disney, and didn’t know about that.

“No, ironically I really wanted a 9 inch pianist.”

My pianist is bigger than your pianist!:smiley:

Relevant XKCD.

Here’s a real dilemma:

The Library at Alexandria; or tapes of all of the Tonight Shows run from 1958 til Johnny went off?

Throw in the lost lost Alex Chilton Big Star recordings, and you can flush Alexandria forever.

Too many qualifiers in this post to be completely comfortable with.

Is this Big Star thing real? I never heard of it.

This is one thing I really regret being lost to history: Cherry Sisters - Wikipedia

No recordings exist. They were the Shaggs of prehistory.

This is actually a tougher issue than it might appear at first glance, because of several major factors. The problem is that we don’t know exactly what the Library had. We also don’t know when it was destroyed. Strictly speaking, we don’t even know that it was destroyed at once, rather than simply mouldering over the years with different wars, crises, and problems causing their own small part.

It wasn’t, in fact, a unique collection and despite the oddball beliefs among some people, the only valuable parts of it today would probably be the historical essays and literature. None of this was individually irreplaceable, but after a couple thousand years, almost everything from the ancient world was lost anyway. We do know it was a fairly sizable collection for the ancient world, although this isn’t quite as impressive as it sounds. Unfortunately, we don’t really know how much was dedicated to which sections, nor whether it ever held some of the most important documents we know once existed, since things constitutions weren’t necessarily considered important to the Ptolemies or the priests.

However, as valuable as I think early silent films would be, I also have to admit that they aren’t that great of a loss. We’re not missing out on any new light being shed on human history, even though restoring them would be really nice. Certainly I personally want the historical factor of the Library of Alexandria, but leaving aside my personal feelings, the possibility of shedding more light on the ancient world does seem much more valuable than restoring some relatively recent films, of which we still have a good handle on the contents and where the most important works did survive and are still available or everyone.