White House Tour - what a waste

Actually he’s there to throw his body into the jaws of any potential oncoming dog. And to pat down balls of string.

Sailboat

The regular tour is what you got; it’s pretty skimpy. There are more extensive tours, if you know somebody…my wife has been on one.

Y’know…I’ve lived in this area for 18 years, and I haven’t done the tour… :o

OT: If I were President, I’d live at Camp David; the WH is ratty and in downtown DC. At Camp David, you got this sweet spread and a short helicopter ride to work…

You are not allowed to be anywhere in a 3 block radius when he feeds. Luckily he only has to do it once a month or so and there’s a special room in a labrynth under Lafayette Park.

No, no. That’s at an undisclosed location somewhere in the midwest. Security, terrorists, God bless America, you know the drill.

I really wanted to take a White House tour last time I was in DC (almost exactly a year ago), but when I inquired, I found out that you have to through many hoops for a tour. I don’t know if it was just a temporary thing that has since changed, but at the time, you had to contact your Congressman, who then booked the tour for you (if any were available during your trip), and then you had to do a background check. The White House person I spoke to said it would be at least 10 weeks before I found out if I could go or not.

Yeah, I got off of my “Goin to the White House” cloud real fast.

We did the tour in 2001 with some friends. It took an hour or so, IIRC - what Elendil’s Heir said went for my experience too.

The tape loop while waiting in line on the sidewalk to the east of the White House grounds was kinda boring, I remember, until it started playing whatever march it is that “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” used as their intro music. That cracked me up. Nobody expects the Monty Python theme music!

That begs the question: don’t you know your wife?

I’ve been on the tour, and while I agree you don’t get to see much, I think it’s fun trying to spot the presidential portraits, at least. You don’t get a lot of bang, but it’s for no buck (other than whatever it costs you to get there), and it’s the most famous building in the city…I’d feel I didn’t tour DC if I didn’t see what I could of the White House.

My kids very much liked being able to say they saw the house where the president lives. There was a coolness factor to them that transcended the fact that you weren’t allowed to see, say, the Oval Office. That certainly made it worth my while.

That would be “The Liberty Bell,” by John Philip Sousa. Chosen by the Python lads, in part, because it was in the public domain and wouldn’t cost anything. The Marine Band played it at Clinton’s first inaugural in 1993, which brought an even bigger smile to my face. The Liberty Bell (march) - Wikipedia

The biggest smile ever brought to my face by presidential introduction music was the 1992 Republican National Convention when, after days of Buchanan’s anti-gay and anti-everything else “speeches that sounded better in the original German” and a thousand other speeches applauding traditional conservative family values, George Bush walked out (a day earlier than anticipated) and as the audience acted as if it were the Second Coming of Elvis the band struck up The Best of Times.

It’s a showtune.

Sung by a drag queen.

In La Cage Aux Folles (a play, for those not familiar, based on the movie of the same name which inspired The Birdcage and is about a gay couple raising a son who becomes engaged to the daughter of a Family Values politician.

Bwahaha! I could’ve gone, but had to work…I wasn’t that into it, anyway.