Who are the most overrated musical artists?

I do not like Rush. Not because of lack of talent but rather because it just isn’t my style. NEIL PEART OVERRATED??? ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK!!!

[sub]I can’t believe I am defending rush**

Depends. Can’t stand mullets.

Depends on who with. There are more hot babes today than then.

So glad to hear that.

Bite me, Chuckles.

Now that’s funny…I hope.

No, actually, the hottest babes were in the 1920s.

You can keep your Brittany Spears, Bozo.

Madonna
Dave Matthews Band
Tori Amos

My list, proceed with the flamming.

At the risk of getting my head chopped off to be tarred and feathered on the inside, I have to agree that, as good as Neil Peart is, I think he is overrated. People speak of him like he was created by the devine in order to define some ultimate standard of rock drumming. I’ll take Phil Collins or Bill Bruford over him any day.

My overrated pic: Personally I could never see Bruce Springstein for the genious that he apparently is.

As this is not the pit, I’ll resist from making any comments in reaction to the notion that the Beatles or the Grateful Dead belong in this thread.

Oooops.

Mods, feel free to correct my font size.

You think so? Let me introduce you to Alannis Morrissette.
Not that I’m defending Stink, the pathetic old hack.
I’ll also nominate Hendrix, and it’s not because I don’t “get” his music or because I hate older artists. I don’t care how technically brilliant he was; his songs were decidedly sub-par.

Your voice sucks. Stop trying to be a rock god. Try being genuine. Write something that means something. And button your fucking shirt. (-;

1. Phil Collins (As a solo artist)
  2. Alanis Morissette
  3. Shania Twain

Just a few that jump to mind.

Which punk bands? There are different eras of punk music, and different styles.

For example:

Pennywise is not overrated. The Offspring is not overrated. The Suicide Machines are not overrated. There are many more that aren’t overrated.

However, many newer punk bands, such as Sum 41 and New Found Glory are way overrated.

Personally, the older punk bands are quite more genuine and artistic. Newer bands tend to just copy Blink 182’s pop-punk style, and are totally unoriginal.

Oh, and I’d like to say the Pink Floyd is not overrated at all.

I would have to say that all of the new school rap/heavy metal hybrid is way overrated. I’m not saying that SOME of the bands don’t have talent, but come on kids, Anthrax did it first and the rest just sounds like a Korn rip off to me.

Woodstockbirdybird posted

[quote]
I’ll also nominate Hendrix, and it’s not because I don’t “get” his music or because I hate older artists. I don’t care how technically brilliant he was; his songs were decidedly sub-par.*

I didn’t think Hendrix’ claim to fame was his singing or his songwriting - how can he be overrated as such? I was under the impression that Hendrix was lauded for what he brought to the electric guitar. The fact that he changed the way it was played, and influenced subsequent generations of guitar players, seems to me that he’s not overrated as such.

Dave Matthews Band, of course.
The Pretenders
The Eagles
Sting

Yes, Clara Bow was a babe. One does not a sample make, tho. And I didn’t realize you were that old.

I will, as long as she agrees not to sing, Grampa.

I just saw Lou Reed on Sessions at West 54th a few nights ago and I think he belongs on this list. Mybe I just don’t get it.

Man-o-man, You know you’re getting old when:

Bands such as the Offspring and Pennywise are used in a comparison as being “the old, good punk rawk”.

Disclaimer: Pennywise ain’t bad.

bill clinton

Billy Joel. I can’t escape the guy, either.

Well let see… so far musicians are has been pioneers, fondly remembered as talented yet misunderstood one trick ponies and overrated retard geniuses.
“Take heed, 'cause I’m a lyrical poet
Miami’s on the scene just in case you didn’t know it
My town, that created all the bass sound
Enough to shake and kick holes in the ground
'Cause my style’s like a chemical spill
Feasible rhymes that you can vision and feel
Conducted and formed, This is a hell of a concept
We make it hype and you want to step with this
Shay plays on the fade, slice like a ninja
Cut like a razor blade so fast, Other DJs say, “damn”
If my rhyme was a drug, I’d sell it by the gram
Keep my composure when it’s time to get loose
Magnetized by the mic while I kick my juice
If there was a problem, Yo – I’ll solve it!
Check out the hook while Deshay revolves it.”

http://windoms.sitek.net/~lyrics/vanilla.htm