Who digs Irish Music (rock/folk/etc)?

I can’t believe no one has mentioned Black 47. Shame on all of you.

I’m not into Irish music per se, but I have an interest in folk music in general, and folk ballads in particular. I’ve heard some Lorenna McKennet versions of ballads that were very nice. And the other stuff is probably not that shabby. But on the basis of one song, I fucking hate the Waterboys.

They set Yeats’ The Stolen Child to music, taking his delicate lilt and cadence and banging into this sputtering stop-gap rhythm that’s more evocative of plungering a toilet than of Yeats’ visions of fairyland. How could anyone be so callous that they cannot feel the music in Yeats, or so shallow that they would throw away the best of Yeats, leaving only hollow words where there used to be poetry?

I fucking hate the Waterboys. If my best friend handed me a Waterboys CD, I’d snap it in half, and make the motherfucker eat it.

Johnny Angel said:

Ah… spoken like a true, sensitive poet.

I love Celtic music, no surprise since my Scottish mother and gram raised me singing it. I would guess I started hearing it in the womb.

A group that has not been mentioned is Eden’s Bridge, I really love them.

Scotti

Big fan here - with a few additional groups.

Solas – I really like them, although their guitarist really bothers some traditionalists.

Boiled in Lead – Take traditional Irish folk music - play with electric guitars, and crank the amplifiers.

Wolfstone – Do the Boiled in Lead thing, with Scottish music and bagpipes. You might not think bagpipes and electric guitars belong together, but (IMHO) for Wolfstone it works.

Although most of what I listen to is local - me me me!

Two Yank Irish groups that are great are St. James’s Gate out of Texas and Cherish the Ladies (all woman group out of New Jersey/New York/Baltimore–they had a Detroiter with them for a few years that wrote (and left with them) a song about an Irish couple that comes to the States and is torn about returning “home” after retirement).

irish_bill How’s it going ? That’s 3(and one yank who lives here) of us now .

As for the OP:
And I agree Lizzy IMHO is/was the best Irish band. Also if you like trad. you should check out the Dubliners , Luke Kelly singing *On Raglan Road * is one of the best vocal performances I have ever heard .

The f**king Corrs :rolleyes:

And for some absolute class guiter riffs check out Rory Gallagher .

All together now ::closes eyes starts to sing:: “I remember Dublin city , in the rare auld times” :slight_smile:

Riverdance and Lord of the Dance pretty much ruined Irish music for me. But I still listen to the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, the Dubliners, and the Pogues.

**irish_bill How’s it going ? That’s 3(and one yank who lives here) of us now . **
[/QUOTE]

Did you say three?

Yojimbo, who is Kim Philby?

That would be JohnLarrigan and the american is ruadh . We’re all in Dublin and have met up once for a pint or ten . There is also a possible Dopers piss up coming up in a month or two ( search for john’s “Ask the Irish Bloke” thread from a while back) .

Not saying that I would be up for one earlier than that .

That would should be wouldn’t . I need sleep , just came off a 12hr night shift.

Damn! Yes, thats what I meant, I posted rather late . . . either that or I really do have beer on the brain.

And yes, certainly have to include Van Morrison, “Moon Dance” and “Into the Mystic” are two of the greatest songs ever recorded.

Those Dundalk Scangers…
for all you Coors fans, their new album is called “In Blue”.

The Pogues were brilliant, but dont forget to check out Shane and The Popes material either. very, very good.

For an alternate look at irish music, search for music by ** Hyper(borea)**, or Afro-Celt Sound System

Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher, 2 of the greats.

Black 47 are excellent also.

For those who like the Dubliners… Luke Kelly sang a beautiful song by Phil Coulter called “Scorn not his Symplicity”. I have heard this song sung by Opera vocalists (bass and Suprano, Male and female), By countless other vocalists, but none came close to the character that Luke Kelly breathed into that song with his gravelly, chiseled, guiness barrel voice.
Michael Flatley can go feltch himself with a broken hula hoop.

oh, yeah, I forgot.

Howya, Irish Bill, chonas ata tu ina chonai?

i gcontae Chiarrai!

< Taking notes of bands to look into >

I like Irish music a lot. I’m a real fan of Lorena McKennitt and U2.