Who has been executed for incompetence?

Apparently the Commandant in charge of the P.O.W. camp where the great Escape happened was executed because of the escape.

Wow, this thread is illustrating the dark side of the Peter Principle.

Unlikely. Probably punished, but Air force pilots cost a lot, to train.

This Great Escape? No, he died a free man at age 82, per Wikipedia.

So? I can’t think of any examples offhand*, but surely it’s common for officers to be thrown out of the armed forces for making that kind of mistake. At that point, you’ve lost the training cost anyways.
*Here’s one, although not a pilot: The guy who commanded the sub which crashed into a Japanese fishing boat was discharged from the navy.

Ignorance fought yet again, cheers.

The doctor treating Hephaistion - friend and possible lover of Alexander the Great - in his last illness, was supposedly executed by Alexander after Hephaistion did not survive.

Yeah, I’m torn on this one as they obviously are a valuable commodity but at the time Iraq and the US really weren’t at odds. In fact, we were the enemy of Saddam’s enemy and the whole episode was presumed detrimental to the Iraqi cause. Just makes me all the more curious about what his fate really was, death or a wink and a slap on the back. When it came to Saddam, no strategy or deviousness was off the table.

Or evil. Don’t forget the evil.

Oh, I’m sure there were lots of first basemen that played better, but execution seems a little extreme.

Stalin routinely had people shot for not doing their jobs right. An investigation after several fatal crashes on the state railways in 1930 led to two executions as well as 12 imprisonments. It’s suspected that Konstantin Kalinin, who was developing heavy bombers for the USSR, was arrested and shot in 1938 because Stalin wasn’t satisfied with progress on the project.