Who has experience with subcompacts?

I’m 6’5", most of which is leg, and I have owned two VW Rabbits (now re-badged back to Golf). Great cars, very solid, decent if not outstanding mileage, maneuverable as all hell, and an amazing amount of both leg and headroom. Highly recommended.

Personally I would stay away from all things Volkswagen at the present time. Who knows how much they’ve fucked with emissions tests, safety tests and Og know what else?

The current Fiesta is a terrific car, though as **GreasyJack **says it’s probably due for an update.

Peugeot/Citroen don’t sell any cars in North America.

I had a 2007 Yaris, and I was quite happy with it; I’d still have it if not for an accident. If they were still making the 4-door version, I’d have considered another. I went with a Mazda 3 instead, and while I’m happy with it, it still feels like I’m driving a boat sometimes.

(I am aware that this statement sounds sort of silly in a nation with so many SUVs/trucks/vans/etc, but the Mazda 3 is a foot longer and feels like it.)

The Yaris was pretty consistently on its advertised MPG, even after 5-6 years. No major issues other than routine maintenance, and the factory tires being kind of crap. Not sporty by any means, but it had a much better feel for the road than my wife’s 2007 Corolla. Easiest car I’ve ever had for city parking, between the size and the turning radius. Better in the snow than you’d think with it being so small. That said, it’s pretty consistently rated lower than the Fit and other subcompacts by the people who do those sorts of reviews, so YMMV.

idk if you think of a Honda Fit as a subcompact. I’ve got a 2015LX 6-speed manual and like it just fine.

Some possibly useful info, re the Fit: My California model gets 34 MPG–smack dab in the middle of the EPA ratings.

Also, we had to replace our clothes washer recently, and hauled its replacement–box and all—in the back!

The term subcompact is not meant to be derisive. The EPA classifies cars according to their interior volume, and the Honda Fit meets the definition of a subcompact. (I have a 2010 Honda Fit that I also like just fine.)

Yeah, which is a little confusing because things like the Civic, Corolla, Sentra, etc were all once subcompacts but thanks to model bloat they’re all compacts now, and so they had to invent some new nameplates (Fit, Yaris, Versa, etc.) to be their “new” subcompact cars. (Their old compacts, the Accord, Camry, and Altima are now mid-size cars although are now perilously close to full-size.)

Sometimes you can see an older Civic, Accord or Corolla and it’s amazing to think how much smaller they were.

cool, Just making sure I got the message right.

The 2008-2012 Hyundai Elantra was a subcompact-turned-compact that was actually classified as a midsize sedan because of the interior volume rule (though it was actually shorter and lower than a Corolla.

Close friend has a Ford Fiesta that she is trying to return as a “lemon” car under the state lemon law. Obivously some people here have had great experiences with them, so this is just one data point.

I would lean towards the BMW 1, or the Minis. I’m on my third BMW and we’ve never had any problems.

My dad loved his Yaris.

I had a CRX and loved that. Honda Fit might be fine.

I would caution strongly against getting a car because your 9 year old fits in it now, unless you’re willing to get rid of it quickly. My 12 year old has grown a foot in the last year. My 10 year old has grown about 6 inches with no sign of stopping. The point is you’re about to hit a time when your child will likely grow like the proverbial weed. You should be planning for an adult sized person in the back seat.

You might look at the Toyota Prius. I’ve been in the back seat many a time, and they’re fine for adults. (I’m 5’8".)

I absolutely love my Fiat 500, best car I’ve ever owned. But I’m commuting alone. Even a legless midget would suffer if stuffed in the back seat. With a 9-year-old, I’d go for a Fit.

I drive a 2012 Kia Rio that I have had precisely zero problems with since I bought it new. It’s been a good car for me, although I am not precisely a power driver :slight_smile: I will say that my very large husband can fit in the passenger seat, but if he does, then nobody is going to be able to sit behind him. The front seats go literally all the way back to the back seat.

I’m 5’6" so I tend to forget Aangelica’s point. In most subcompacts, rear leg room disappears if the front seats are all the way back. It can get tight back there in compacts, too.

My daughter got a Chevy Spark last year and loves it. Plenty of room for me to drive it. (5’10")