Who here has done the Eharmony thing? Opinions, please

Maybe this Reuter’s story sheds a little light on the creepy factor:

I thought I was the only one! Yeah getting “matches” from thousands of miles away when I’d specified 25 or 50 miles? Whatever.

I got the same “undatable” message from eHarmony.

I met exactly one person from OKCupid. It was a very quiet website for me (this was in January of 2006). Nobody ever seemed to write back.

Match was a goldmine. I literally had one week lined up with four different girls, four days in a row, and all of them were good dates. If I were a player, this is the site I would use. But I found my current SO on Match, so those other three dates had to go post haste.

I did Yahoo! Personals for a spell in 2004, and that sucked for me as well.

So, in my experience, Match was the best match for me. Plenty of down-to-earth girls, didn’t meet any “crazies,” girls were up for meeting within a week of writing them. That’s my unreserved recommendation.

Try this, log in, click on My Account>Edit Settings. At the bottom, at the bottom of the page click on Show Delete Account Options. Put in your password, then delete your account.

So, how you doin’? :smiley:

OKCupid isn’t free. Paying members can write to you and you can respond, but if you want to initiate an email you gotta pay. Definitely beats Match but few in my area seem to use it. Seems that New York is a hotbed of swanky, attractive chicks using that service, though. Hmm, I’ll have to move there one day.

When did this change? It used to be free for the longest time.

I’ve never seen anything on OKCupid that has to be paid for; are you sure you’re not thinking of some other service that has “cupid” in it somewhere?

OkCupid is absolutely free. I just messaged someone to be sure, right before I DELETED MY ACCOUNT!!! Yay! Thanks Lok! :smiley:

Oh, and a deal’s a deal. Let me know if it’s worth the trip to you. Sight unseen, since I DELETED MY OKCUPID ACCOUNT!!! Oh happy day!!! :wink:

That depends, trip to where? :smiley:

I think you’re confused with another site.

I’ve never given OKCupid a dime, have sent messages to users, and have received back responses.

Ah, you’re right. I was thinking of FastCupid, which is affiliated with The Onion Personals.

New York is dating hell for women and dating heaven for men. The male : female ratio would definitely be in your favor.

I’ve used EHarmony (sometimes called “E, Ha, Money”.) The website is near worthless. They charge an immense amount of money to give you an extremely narrow tailored pool of dating prospects who are still no more useful than anyone else. Other websites delivered far better results - genuine people, not bots - for far less money.

I found my wife on eHarmony. So did my best friend. So it can work.

Incidentally, both of us and our wives are not at all religious, despite its apparently religious origins.

I thought you were going somewhere else with this…

Here is a Wikipedia comparison of online dating services: