Who in God's name puts chocolate in beer?

You should see the bottles. Bright pink, like Pepto.

Everyone knows that the essence of bread is flour, water, salt and yeast. Therefore any bread that adds different ingredients and flavorings are clearly stupid and wrong. Get outta here with your sourdough, soda bread, challah, croissants, brioche, potato bread, scones, panettone, bialys, cornbread, hot cross buns…

I just pictured the spare fridge in the rec room partitioned off like an Advent calendar…

They actually do make a lot of solid middle-of-the-road beers, too. Their Dead Guy Ale is fantastic, as is their Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout. But they do like to play around a lot, so it’s fun if you’re into beer experimentation, but most of the experimenting they do is not something I’m interested in (see my comment about “dessert beers”), unfortunately.

Ack! It’s getting worse!

Mrs Piper has taken the last beers out of the calendar. “Chocolate peanut butter stout” is one of the remaining beers.

Now I have a dilemma. Should I make a pretence of tasting it before I pour it down the sink, or should I just go to direct action, open it and pour it down the sink immediately?

Beckon her with a wordless finger, move to the sink, pour it straight down there. Staring her straight in the eyes all the while with a grim face.
Toss the bottle in the rubbish and merely say…let us never speak of it again. Merry Christmas Honey.

I say try it. Otherwise you might wonder how bad it could have been.

It’s a sin to not even try it. It puts you in the same category of beer drinker who says “mah daddy drunk Budweiser and it never made him go blind so why try anything else?”

24 beer, actually. It’s an Advent calendar, after all. :slight_smile:

It’s a cardboard box about 2.5 ft by 3 ft, with perforated tear-outs to pull out each can or bottle on the appropriate day.

It should be pointed out a chocolate stout may or may not have chocolate in it.

According to Wiki:

I’ve tried a few chocolate beers from some fairly good size brewers and my opinion was mostly “Meh”. Somehow the chocolate flavor always seemed to be fighting against the hops/barley flavors.

Then at a local brew-off competition (home brewers) I had a chance to try some beginner brewers chocolate stout. His first attempt ever. Somehow this guy brewing up a five gallon batch in his garage managed to nail it perfectly. I don’t know if he just got lucky and won’t be able to repeat his batch but I’ll be looking for him at the next brew-off.

Flavoured beer is pretty common in Belgium. That rancid cherry-acid beer upthread, most likely refering to Kriek(they range from cloyingly sweet, to mildly acidic, almost lactic, to extremely tart), is one example among many strange concoctions, for every kind of palate. It’s well known brother Gueuze(both are Lambic beer) covers more or less the same range(although it’s quite different), and is not a flavoured beer. Often whole fruit are added during one or several of the stages of fermentation, then strained away when filtering and bottling. This can be done for several reasons, one of which is sugar content for the fermentation. So it’s no less “beer” than sugar from malt or from cane.

Belgium places beer and experimental brewing as an intergral part of their history and culture. You shouldn’t mock flavoured beer as “less beer”, without having explored what it has to offer.

Essentially this. Not quite so accusing of her; she didn’t know this abomination would be in the calendar.

But, since the Cub got a bottle opener in his Christmas cracker, he had fun opening the bottle prior to the ceremonial disposal. :smiley:

Well, a few more down the sink.

Sour cherry ale. I poured it into a glass. It was pink. Pink! Two sips and down the drain.

Then, on to the Blueberry Maple Ale, with a picture on the label of a lumberjack about to tuck into a stack of pancakes slathered in blueberry maple syrup. Yes, it tasted as bad as that sounds. Down the drain.

I’m now knocking back an extremely dark stout called Boris the Spider - Imperial Russian Stout. It’s not that good, but it’s certainly better than the alternatives.

I brew a “Chocolate Raspberry Stout” (a season, festive desert beer) that has no chocolate or raspberry in it that is the most esoteric and sublime experience you may ever enjoy.

Like a fancy specialty cake that gets you feeling fine and happy.

Now sharing for all those in my area, as I have 18 liters and the holidays are now pretty much over. Come and get it!

Do you ship internationally?