Who is a Jew? (removed from thread on Jewish heads of state)

In one word: Tradition.

And would you say that these people are not Jews? Are not Orthodox Jews? Or that they are Orthodox Jews who are not properly fulfilling some of the commandments?

According to (at least some) traditionally accepted Orthodox rules, someone who publically violates the Sabbath (by Orthodox standards) is Jewish but does not count towards a minyan. So that guy might have been basing himself on more knowledge about you than you thought, but trying to spare you embarrassment to the extent possible.

I don’t understand. What makes you think he knew I violated the sabbath?

Assuming you’re correct that he couldn’t have heard any gossip, it would have been wrong to infer that from your casual dress; plenty of fully Orthodox Jews wear “normal” Western clothes.

I don’t have a lot of experience praying with the Orthodox, but the times that I have done so, even when my dress clearly marked me as Not One Of Them, nobody questioned my right to be there. So I don’t know exactly what the story was with your guy, but I can say that it’s, happily, unusual.

I said he “might have been …”. Specifically, I would not be surprised if he quietly asked whoever it was who knew/invited you. But perhaps not.

The point here is that you and others have been assuming that the guy was making an incorrect assumption about you (which therefore couldn’t be based on any actual knowledge). It’s more likely that he was making a correct assumption about you, and quite possibly had some factual basis.

Likely the third (but which of us do not lapse in some way?), possibly the second, though that would probably depend very much on their own mental approach to the religious belief, which I would not be so presumptuous as to claim to know.

Since this is a thread about “who is a Jew”, then I think you and I are roughly in agreement. I don’t think those people would be offended to know that you feel they are not properly fulfilling some of the laws.