Who is the greatest science fiction writer of all time?

Robert Silverberg.

While I don’t think he’s the best (that would be Heinlein), Larry Niven should certainly be on the list of contenders.

Fine, if there’s a “only pick one” requirement, I’ll go for E. E. Doc Smith.

<SLAPS Hunter Hawk with a Wet Trout>

Smith? And why not Goulart, while you’re at it?:mad:
<SLAP>

Fine, I just might change my nomination to Wernher von Braun.
Motherfucker kept it real.

Samuel R. Delany beats all of them for pure writing talent.

Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke are serviceable writers, but their prose is utilitarian. Delany’s soars, and he tops everyone in philosophical insight.

Gene Wolfe and Ursula K. Leguin also are superb writers. As was the late, great Cordwainer Smith.

Easiest poll ever polled. Asimov.

I’m an enormous fan of Verne, who, despite his iconic status, is still underappreciated. Although Verne acknowledged his debt to Poe (who also belongs among the greats, but usually isn’t listed), he’s the one who brought science fiction really to life by dint of his prolific output, most of which is unknown and unread even by fans. But he really did exemplify the hard-sf ideal of extensive research and extrapolation, wedded to a superb imagination. Verne’s voyages cved the entire Earth, as well as under the sea and inside the earth (in more than one volume), both Poles, the Moon, and a trip to the gas giants.

In addition to a highly advanced submarine, his writings included a heavier-than-air flying machine built of composites, a trip to the moon very reminiscent of the real one a century later, rubber survival suits for people thrown overboard, Health Maintenance Organizations, the first story where “Supernatural” elements are created by projectors, televisions, telephones, and electromagnets, the use f electric lights in cave exploration, the first fictional use I know of of electrical triggering of gunpowder bombs, the first Guided Missile in literature, and other such things. Polar explorers modelled their paths after those of his Captain Hatteras, and two Arctic submarine expeditions were in submarines named after his Nautilis.
He had as heros people from all nations – not only his native France, but also England, America, Germany (at least until France lost the Franco-Prussian War), Indians, Chinese, Turks, Canadians, Russians, Italians, Scots, Australians, and others.His characterization was often poor, and he had a tendency to over-explain, but I can forgive him those faults.

Others wrote science fiction at the same time, and are even less recalled, but Verne was successful onstage as well as in the books, and wrote prolifically, publishing a book or two each year. For his work in popularizing and founding so many conventions of the genre, I’d rate him the greatest.

Abraham Merritt

Reminds me of the 1969 Hugo award for best dramatic presentation: It went to the television coverage of Apollo 11.

Tie between Asimov and Heinlein.

I’ll have to vote for RAH or Asimov in the end, but Larry Niven deserves to be on the poll, as does Varley. Card damn near makes it on the strength of Ender’s Game alone, but I think his other work is weaker. I’m glad to see LeGuin already nominated, which she richly deserves. She’d probably get my vote for greatest living science fiction writer. Clarke is good and should be in the discussion, but I certainly don’t expect him to win.

Heinlein.

Asimov had ingenious puzzles, Clarke was a better writer, but Heinlein told the best stories.

Three cheers for Arthur C. Clarke
He’s constantly hitting the mark
He’s got a class act
In both fiction and fact
And he gives off more charm than a quark

—Entry in an Omni Magazine limerick contest about 30 years ago.

HG Wells.

Please put Ben Bova in your poll. He may not be old-school like Asimov and Heinlein, but he made up for it by getting things right. Somebody would vote for him–I would, for instance. If you doubt his psychic qualities, read Cyberbooks (1989).

Philip Jose Farmer - I have read a couple of the Riverworld Novels and they are pretty good, but some of his short stories are so delightfully weird that I do not think anyone else compares.

Being a French speaker that likes science fiction, I have read much of Jules Verne’s work (you can download all his works for free, at least in French! I have a complete collection on my PC at home) and I have to agree with you and the others who say this. He had a great imagination, and many of his ideas were actually “realistic” in that they were close to what scientists have accomplished. That said, I don’t know if he is the author I most enjoy reading.

Harlan Ellison might be a great writer, but honestly, it always seems to me that his output is very meager. How may science fiction novels / short stories has he written?

Heinlein deserves to win it IMHO, but if I am suggesting names to be included in a poll, Jules Verne, HG Wells, Isaac Asimov, Phlip Jose Farmer and Larry Niven need to be in it.

Elllison, like many of the best SF writers, primarily wrote short stories. His output was quite extensive, though, and he won tons of awards (I think only Connie Willis has beaten him).

Other greats of the genre include Cyril Korbluth, Henry Kutter/C.L. Moore, R. A. Lafferty, Robert Sheckley, Octavia Butler, and Edgar Pangborn.