Who is the worst director or producer in the industry?

I’ve learned to run the other way when I see Wes Anderson’s name.

I’m gonna say David Lynch, but unfortunatly, his films are like car wrecks. You don’t wanna look, but you just can’t help it.

Wow, I get to be the guy who says Coleman Francis?

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was obviously a haven for bad filmmakers but their greatest “find” in that regard must be Francis. Francis wrote, produced, directed, and starred in three films each one more nightmarishly terrible than the last:

Skydivers - The most coherant of his movies and that’s not saying a lot. It tries to be a portrait of betrayed love but it only manages to be a lot of skydiving and coffee drinking.

The Beast of Yucca Flats - Francis actually managed to make a movie featuring the king of bad movie acting Tor “Time for go to bed!” Johnson. In this case the Sweedish Wrestler, best known as the model for that mask your cousin used to use to scare you with, is a nuclear physicist. Really. And he’s caught in an atomic blast that turns him into… well… Tor Johnson who naturally goes on a killing spree. The narration has to be heard to be believed.

Red Zone Cuba - It’s like a nightmarish descent into hell, and not the good kind of hell. The kind of hell where you’re certain nothing will ever be good or happy again. Don’t ask me to explain the plot; there’s some convicts that escape and then get an intensive one day train course by the military so that the five of them invade Cuba just in time for the Bay of Pigs before teleporting back to the American Southwest to get gunned down.

Have to admit I was totally unaware any of those except S.a.t.S. had theatrical releases.

Sophia Coppola

Nope.

Nope, again.
With both of these, you may not like the films, but that doesn’t mean the directing is bad. Wes Anderson and David Lynch are two very, very talented directors. I’d go so far as to say that they are some of the best working today.

Not the worst producer ever, so probably a bit of a hijack, but WTF happened to Gale Anne Hurd? One minute, Aliens, the next, Virus. And The Punisher movie was awful, and its sequel/ reboot (see-boot?) looks like more nu-metal noise too.

No. She’s a lousy actress, but she’s a pretty good director. At least, nowhere near “worst”.

Oh! Renny Harlin. Man can’t direct worth a shit.

What about those two guys responsible for the onslaught of awful movies that do nothing but make fun of other movies in the least humorous way possible? Like Meet The Spartans?

Meet the Spartans was directed?

I meant the producers.

What does good directing look like?

It’s invisible.

He’s not my favorite director, but I only credit that to taste and not because he’s bad. He’s certainly not your mainstream popcorn-flick kind of guy. **Dogville **and Dancer in the Dark were both quite strong. And I believe he will always be remembered and respected by the critics for Kingdom.

Jesus christ, me too. I don’t count him as among the worst, because I still sorta like his style, but man, that bastard can make a boring movie.

Joe

Cool, I think I’m gonna have a bad movie night featuring one of these guys. Uwe Boll, I’ve heard the name, but I didn’t realize he’s the brainchild for so much mainstream crap. Awesome!

Michael Bay. I was forced to watch Transformers and was bored out of my mind. More special effects does not make up for a crappy plot.

That’s nonsense. You may not like his movies, but that doesn’t make him a bad Director. If he can direct his actors well, direct his camera well, and direct the edit well, and he can do those more than adequately, then he’s not a bad director.

I personally don’t like a single one of Stanley Kubrick’s films, I think they’re long boring slow pieces of shit, but I wouldn’t dare to say he’s the worst Director in the industry. Not without fear of being lynched.

Uwe Boll, on the other hand, is almost universally listed as the absolute worst currently working, and that can’t be a coincidence.

They were both absolute shit, easily among the most unpleasant film experiences I’ve ever had. Both films are a big, degrading “fuck you” to the audience. I don’t know what otherwise intelligent viewers and critics see in those movies and I don’t want to know.